Chapter 20

GREG'S POV

"GREG LOOK OUT!" Bridget yells trying to grab the steering wheel. It all happens so fast, I'm moving the steering wheel but it's too late. I glance over at Bridget and without thinking I throw myself on her trying to protect her. The semi truck hits us head on, the car rolls over so manny times I lose count.

In the distance I hear screams and sirens somewhere in the distance. Please don't let this be the end. We're both still so young, we've got our lives ahead of us. I try to move but my seat belts stuck. "Bridget? Are you okay?" Nothing. Just silence within the car. I maneuver my self so I'm facing Bridget. Her face is covered in blood and her hair hangs limp, shading her face. I move the hair out of the way, her eyes are closed. "Bridget come on baby wake up, please wake up" I cry, I'm actually crying, for a girl who I've met and who until now that I've realized this but a girl I'm in love with.

"SIR! Are you okay in there? We'll try and get you out as fast as we can" I'm guessing a cop or fire fighter says. I don't really care, I just want Bridget to be alive and healthy and in my arms with her warm smile that can light up a room. Before I know it I'm being hoisted onto a stretcher while they try and get Bridget out, I watch as they do CPR on her.

"We've got to get this one to the hospital, there's a pulse but it's low, she might not make it" I don't know what it is but something in me snaps. I jump off the stretcher and make my way through the cops, correction trying. "Hold on there bud. She's going to be okay, everything will be alright, she's in good hands right now. We're going to take the both of you to the nearest hospital alright?" I nod still watching Bridget as they place her in the ambulance.

"Are you going to ride in the ambulance with her?" The medic asks. I nod my head. I feel numb. I'm still in shock. I can't believe we were in an accident, and it's all my fault. It's my fault, Bridget is hurt and unconscious. It's my fault this all happened. Before I know it we're at the hospital and Bridget is being whisked off to the ER.

I try and chase after her but I'm held back by the nurse this time. I sit down in a chair, my head drops into my hands and once again, I cry. There's something gnawing in my stomach but I don't know what. My head snaps up. Bridget's family! I walk over to the phone and diall Bridget's house umber where her parents live. The dial tone rings a few times before somebody picks up on the fifth ring.

"Hello?" Scott says.

"Hey man, it's Greg"

"Greg! What's wrong is everything okay?"

"Scott... Bridget and I were in a car accident, she's in surgery right now. I'm not sure they won't tell me anything because I'm not family" There's a silence on the other end of the phone. He's in shock.

"Hello? Hello? Who is this?" Bridget's mom says.

"Hi, it's Greg, um Bridget and I were in a car accident and she's in surgery I think, I don't know they won't tell me anything. I'm sorry I didn't protect her, it's all my fault"

"Shh honey calm down! Everything will be okay, we're on our way over right now"

After telling her the hospital name, I hang up and go back to the sitting area.

An hour passes by and Bridget's family walks in looking panicked. I get up and walk towards them slowly.

"Greg thank god your okay! Any word on Bridget yet?" Marie asks (Bridget's mom). I shake my head.

I wish I knew otherwise I would've been semi- okay but I'm not. I need to know what's going on, thank god Bridget's family is here.

A doctor comes into the room. Everybody's head snaps up at the sound of the door opening. "Bridget McGowen?" Bridget's family and I all stand up.

"I'm her mother" Marie says shakily. The doctor nods.

"We've just finished surgery on her and from the impact of the truck and the anesthesia she's in a coma. We don't know how long she'll be in there but there's a chance that she won't wake up; and if she does wake up she may have memory loss" That's all I can take. I slowly sink into my chair.

Bridget may never wake up. And she may not remember me. What have I done. I'm the one that's done this to her. I put my head in between my knees. This can't be happening. She has to wake up. She has to. She has so much to live for. I can't stop blaming myself for this. It's my fault that I turned up the music and it's my fault I started dancing and singing to the song. It's my fault I wasn't watching what was on the road. It's all my fault.

"Hey man you okay?" I look to my left and see Matt there. The youngest of the family who I think is around sixteen or seventeen years old. He looks distraught but not as bad I probably look.

"Honestly no I'm not, you okay?"

"No" a tear slips out of his eye "everybody thinks that I don't care about Bridget, but I do. She's my older sister and she stuck up for me when Alex and Scott gang up on me. Did she ever tell you about that one time she had to put makeup on me?"

"No she hasn't, why what happened?"

"I got into a fight one day and of course my parents didn't know and they weren't home when I got home but Bridget was. She noticed right off the bat that something was wrong when I walked in cause I was hiding my face. She lifted up my chin and as soon as she saw my eye she ran upstairs. I thought I was a goner, as soon as she ran upstairs I thought she was going to call my parents but she came down with her makeup kit

I didn't say anything, I thought she hated me; but as soon as she started she told me "You better have kicked the guys ass" I couldn't believe what she said considering how innocent she is. I don't think she told anybody else about that, but she did keep putting makeup on me to hide the bruise. If my parents found out I would've been dead. She was always like that though, keeping things to herself."

"Yeah, there were days when she wouldn't tell me anything. She's like an unsolved puzzle" I smile remembering her laugh and her smile when something funny happened. The way her nose used used to crinkle up when she didn't like something. Her love for music and movies, everything that reminded me of her came rushing back to me.

"Coffee, Greg?" Jason asks while holding a cup of steaming coffee. I mumble a thanks and take the cup from him.

"Are we allowed to see her yet?" Matt asks hopefully.

Jason shakes his head "No not yet, they want to let her recover internally for a bit then we can see her" I sigh loudly, there's nothing I want to except to see Bridget happy and full of energy.

"BUT I'M NOT CRAZY JUST A LITTLE UNWELL AND I KNOW YOU CANT TELL BUT STAY AWHILE AND THEN MAYBE YOU'LL SEE" oops, I guess that's my phone considering Bridget set that as my ring tone. I look around the room to see everyone staring at me, giving them an apologetic look I step out of the room and just a little bit down the hall.

"Hello?"

"Hey man, it's Jesse. Where are you? You're late for practice and we have regionals coming up soon"

"Crap sorry man I'm at the hospital. Bridget's gone into a coma, we got into a car accident on the way back"

"Woah! Take as much time as you need, I'll tell Beca what happened, and look I'm really sorry about Bridget I hope she wakes up soon"

"Yeah thanks I'll talk to you later" I hang up the phone before he could say anything else. I just wish that the semi truck that hit us never hit us and that everything could go back to normal.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^