The Note & A Best Friend Problem

Completely Edited.

[Mal's POV]

I woke up in my castle chambers to a hasty sun wanting to let itself in. I pulled a pillow over my head, but I knew that wasn't going to do any good, so I got ready. When I went to put earrings on, I saw a note.

Dear Mal,
I hope you're feeling ok, because you missed breakfast this morning. I wanted to wake you, but you looked really tired from last night. If you're feeling better and you're up for it, you should stop by my office, don't worry, my schedule isn't really packed...yet. Hope you're doing ok, love. I'm always here for you.
Love you,
Ben

I started crying, I loved Ben with all my heart. I remember when he first proposed to me to be his queen and to spend the rest of his life with me. I couldn't say no. I looked back at the letter that mentioned I was tired? I don't remember being tired. I shrugged it off and went to Ben's office.

I slid down the banister to a bronze colored door. I tapped it lightly. I heard someone say 'come in', so I did just that. Ben was over at his desk filling out paperwork, occasionally putting his head in his hands. Sometimes, he was so busy, that if we didn't have our heads glued on, he might lose his. I walked over to him and kissed him.

He turned to me in fear. He probably didn't realize it was me. "Hey, babe. Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." He let his guard down act. "No, its ok. I'm just tired." "Didn't you get enough sleep?" He nodded. "Yeah, but my parents have been driving me crazy all morning. Speaking of which, are you doing ok?" I sat down in his lap.

"I don't know. I saw that note that you left me. Was I really tired?" He kissed my forehead. "Yeah, you were. In fact, you went to a gala party with me and your friends. It lasted till midnight, but you and Evie stayed out longer. You came into bed last night when I was asleep. I woke up early, went to breakfast, came back, and you were still out."

"I'm sorry if I disappointed you." He looked at me like I was crazy. "You'd never disappoint me, Mal. Not now, not ever." He kissed my cheek which gave me butterflies in my stomach. Ben recollected himself. "I guess I should be getting back to work. Why don't you go and hang out with Evie. I'll come see you later." I nodded and kissed him passionately before leaving him to his thoughts.

[Evie's POV]

"Mirror, mirror, in my hand, where does Ben and Mal's relationship stand?" My mirror showed me Ben and Mal kissing passionately which meant they were still in love.

That was a good thing since they're the king and queen of Auradon. Mal came up to me from the shadows of the palace and sat next to me at the Enchanted Lake. She was looking terrible. Her black mascara was running and her purple hair was a mess.

"Mal!" I called out to her loudly. "Come sit!" She sat down reluctantly and blew a hair out of her eyes. "How're you doing my queen?" She started crying and I gave her a napkin.

"I'm sorry, Mal...did Ben divorce you?" "No! Ben and I are still married, but he is way too busy. And I get it, he's the king, but he needs to take time off." I hugged her tightly. "That's not the way I saw it." She became enraged, realising her deceiving green eyes. "How did you know we were in love?" I held up my mirror and squirmed a little.

Mal got up without saying a word, leaving me to feel guilty for what I did.

[Ben's POV]

"Lonnie, I'm sure we can help the warriors with their training, but not right now. I need to go see Mal." Lonnie pushed me against the wall. "If you don't do something now my troops will DIE, Ben!" She had tears in her eyes. "I'm sorry, Lonnie. Maybe I can send a general to help them." She nodded and thanked me before running off.

I got back to the room that Mal and I stayed in since we're married. I unlocked the ruby red lock with a half heart key reminding me that Mal is the other half I need to make my heart full. I closed the door to find my wife crying on the bed with her hands in her head. I ran over to her and sat next to her.

"Honey, you ok?" I said trying to be as calm as possible without scaring her. I rubbed her back and tried listening to her side of the story, which was hard because of all of her crying.

"Evie...and....then...me...you...left..." I kissed her forehead trying to calm her down. "Mal, baby, its ok. How about you get some sleep?" "Only if you stay with me." I kissed her again as she got under the covers. I read my book as she tried sleeping. Occasionally, she'd wake up from nightmares, which caused me to freak out and call the doctor for some help.

I went to sleep myself, hoping that it would comfort my wife more and make her feel safe. I kissed her before passing out. "I love you, Mal..."