Thank Merlin

Harry's letter arrived the day after the challenge, carried by a familiar little owl. Sirius and Olivia tore it open eagerly, having been filled with all sorts of worry over Harry's fate. Just the fact that they had gotten a letter was a good sign— if anything had happened to him, they figured that no one would think to send it. Olivia got to the letter first and read it aloud:

Dear Sirius and Olivia,

I made it! I actually survived the first challenge! I'm not sure what simple spell you meant when you mentioned it, but I found the summoning charm worked well.

We all had to chose from a bag for the order and the dragon. I was up last, and I had to get a golden egg from a Hungarian Horntail's nest. I played to my strengths, Moody helped me with that, and summoned my firebolt. It took a few seconds (I learned the spell the night before the challenge) but when it came it was almost like a Quidditch match.

I kicked off easily, and being the up in the air really calmed my nerves. The Horntail was the size of a dog before I stopped and surveyed the scene. The egg was just an oversized snitch, and the dragon the opposing team. I dived first, the dragon's head following me, and pulled out just in time to not be caught by the flame that soared exactly where I had been. I just pretended the flames were bludgers I had to dodge.

Ludo Bagman was commentating, but I didn't pay any attention to him. Apparently he was yelling about my flying prowess to Krum, which Ron told me about later (he's talking to me again, by the way, thank you for the letter).

Next I soared above the dragon in a high circle— I wanted to make her tear up at me, otherwise I had no chance of getting to that egg. I dived again to miss more fire, but her tail got me in the shoulder. Again, I'm fine, it didn't cut deep and Madam Pompfrey took care of me right afterwards.

Anyway, I began to dart back and forth, again trying to get her to take off. It felt like ages to me (I took the shortest amount of time so it couldn't have been long) before she reared up, her massive black, leathery wings taking up the size of a small plane. I dived before she could even realise what was happening, darting towards the nest as fast as the firebolt could take me. I snatched the somewhat heavy golden egg and tucked it under my uninjured arm, putting my hands back on the broom. I soared up over the stands, the volume turning back on as I was deafened by the roar of the crowd.

I waited until the handlers had a grip on the dragon before landing; McGonagall, Hagrid, and Moody waiting for me. They all congratulated me and shoved me off towards the infirmary tent, where Pompfrey fixed up my shoulder easily. Ron and Hermione met me outside the tent.

Ron tried to apologise but I insisted that he didn't need to. I know I was being stubborn over it, and that he wasn't completely to blame. Hermione started bawling (for reasons unknown), called us idiots, hugged us, and then stomped off. If you've any idea why she's like that Ron and I would like to know, as we've no idea.

Ron told me what the other champions did before the scores. Cedric, the other bloke from Hogwarts, had tried to distract his dragon by transfiguring a rock into a dog. He got the egg, but the dragon caught on and burned him. Fleur, the Beauxbatons champion, tried to get it to sleep, but when it snores it shot fire. It only got her skirt, though, so she was able to put it out and get the egg. Krum, the Durmstrang champion, shot something at the dragon's eye that caused it to go crazy. He got to the egg, but the dragon also smashed some of its own eggs so he got points taken off for that.

I got 40/50 points, which tied me with Krum for first (Karkaroff was quite biased about it, but I'm happy). Honestly I was glad that I survived the whole ordeal. The next challenge isn't until February, but the golden eggs are supposed to be a hint towards it. I've no idea what to do with it, but I'm not going to worry about it too much yet. If you have any ideas, though, I'd be glad to hear them.