A Break

Olivia found out on the way back that birds, animagus rooks at least, could cry. While her tear ducts were obviously not built for the function, that didn't stop the tears from streaming down her face as she hurried back to Grimmauld Place.

She wasn't hurrying back because she wanted to be there, however. Her train of thought as she flew through the London sky was less "I want to return home" and more "I want to grab my things so that I can run away for good and never hurt anyone again." The problem was she didn't know where to go.

Privet Drive was obviously out of the question, along with Grimmauld Place. She wanted absolutely nothing to do with Malfoy Manor, and any resemblance of home she had in Scotland or overseas was much too far for her weary, petite form. That left only one place she could think of- the now abandoned Yorkshire cottage belonging to Remus Lupin.

It seemed like the perfect option- no people around, a familiar place, out in the country, a liveable space with which she could hide out her days until she could finally get her accursed powers under control. And, because she respected Lupin and he her, she wouldn't damage anything, and hopefully no one would be sent after her. She just had to make sure Remus would be on her side in the matter.

Hermione, or someone in the girls' room, had left a window open for her. Olivia hopped in as the grandfather clock downstairs struck 5, hoping that no one was a light enough sleeper to notice her absence. She transformed briefly to grab her few belongings from the bedside table, including parchment and a quill to write a letter to Remus. She locked herself in the corridor bathroom and began to write, careful to stay quiet and use the incoming sun's rays as a light source.

Dear Remus,

I'm going to first say I'm sorry for the mess I'm about to bestow upon you. From what I know of you, however, you seem to be the best option for carrying and handling this disaster, which is partially why I'm writing to you now. That, and I need to use your house for a little while.

Let me explain: when I visited the Dursley house, I broke some rules and pushed around some muggles to the point where even Harry was scared of me. I realised I'm sick and tired of hurting those close to me with these stupid powers, and that I need to do something about it.

This is where your house comes in. If I stay here and start to practice/ continue living at Grimmauld Place, Someone is going to get hurt. I don't know how, and that's no threat, but that's how my powers seem to work. I hurt everyone around, so I've decided I need to not be around anyone. Your home in Yorkshire, since as far as I'm aware is unoccupied, has become my new destination, and I hope that you'll forgive me for intruding.

Please, whatever you do, don't send anyone after me. Harry will get me angry and I'll hurt him. Hermione will try to logic it away but she just doesn't understand and it'll result in hurt for both of us. And Sirius would be worst of all- I swore I'd never hurt him again, but even if he talks me down from this then I'll keep hurting everyone else. This is what I need to do to protect everyone. I need to leave.

- Olivia

After closing up the letter, putting Remus's name on it, and sliding it under the master bedroom door in hope he'll be the first one to find it, Olivia ventured back into the girls room, did one final once-over, and
flew out of the window and back into the harsh and open world.

~

Luckily, Sirius was already lounging in the other room by the time Olivia delivered the letter, which meant Remus was the first person to see it. Snatching it up with a curious face, Remus unfolded the crudely done letter. He began to exit the room but as he read the first few words he realised this letter was not meant for the prying eyes that undoubtedly laid outside. He scanned over it with his usual bookworm-reading speed, being careful to harvest every detail.