Backup

Sirius had been in his usual spot that early in the morning when he got the call. After screaming at the mirror for a minute to try and talk to Olivia again, he bolted off of the couch and into the master bedroom, where Remus was in the process of getting ready.

Remus, dressed in a bathrobe and in the middle of shaving, about dropped his razor as Sirius slammed the door open in a huff, not even looking up at him as he hurriedly grabbed clothes and began dressing.

"Olivia's been attacked by death eaters, we have to go." Sirius kept it simple, throwing a shirt over his undershirt and throwing a towel at Lupin.

Lupin caught the towel with relative ease and wiped off his face, "Is she hurt? Is she still there?"

Sirius huffed as he struggled to calm down enough to put on socks, "She's fine but shaken and is still in your house. Has she been there the whole time? Why didn't you say anything?"

Remus three off the bathrobe next and also began dressing, "Yes she's always been there, and I figured you were going to go after her if you knew."

"Wait did you not have anyone watching the house?" Sirius asked in bewilderment.

Remus refused to make eye contact as he pulled on his trousers, "I figured she could take care of herself, and there was a plan-"

"Take cake of herself? She's 15! She's no match against trained death eaters!" Sirius yelled back,  not even in the mood to admire what was happening in front of him.

"And in case you haven't noticed, has power far beyond most trained wizards. You said it yourself that she isn't hurt!" Remus didn't bother with an undershirt and fumbled with the buttons of his overshirt.

Sirius stood and finished the last few buttons for him to speed the process up, "She could've been hurt and is lying to me. Or even the possibility of what could've happened should warrant someone following her!"

Remus pulled on his shoes and motioned for Sirius to grab their wands, "She specifically asked for no one to follow her-"

"So did Harry! And he was also attacked!" Sirius continued to scold.

"Come on, we'll apparate," Remus grabbed Sirius's arm and, in a flash, the two had apparated to the front door of Remus's cottage with Remus barely remembering to knock before pulling out his keys.

"Olivia? It's just Remus and I, where are you?" Sirius called out into the dark house. From the main living area, nothing looked too out of place.

"The guest bedroom." Olivia said without raising her voice. Between the low volume and the voice crack that accompanied it, the two men rushed to get to her.

Once they reached the hallway, however, the two men stopped dead in their tracks as they saw the wreckage.

The piles of splintered wood and destroyed objects filled the entire hallway, with the mangled corpses acting as some kind of macabre centrepiece. It was hard to tell who the people were from Remus and Sirius's angle, but they could see exactly how they died. At some point Olivia had torn the masks off of the men as well, exposing their cold, rotting expressions to the daylight. They blocked the entrance to every room in the hallway, with blood staining the ancient wooden floors in deep red pools littered with dust, paper, and other debris.

"Oh shit." Sirius said under his breath. Remus just nodded from beside him.

Sirius waited a moment before climbing over the wreckage to get to the guest bedroom, extra careful to avoid the corpses of the death eaters. He ducked through the doorway as he heard Remus begin to clear up the debris behind him.