one

June 1, 2017 ; Vancouver, Washington
Evelyn

"Hey, Danny," I smile into the phone. He starts to say something, but his voice gets cut off.

"Hey, Ev. What's up?" Daniel's voice is loud in my ear.

I open my window, letting in the sunlight that is dipping below the horizon, "Same old, same old. Currently, I'm extremely tired. Thanks, finals."

"Awww. Hang in there, Ev," He voice is comforting over the phone. I flop onto the bed backwards.

"Barely," I sigh, "I have a huge project for AP art due, and I'm not even finished. Luckily, I signed for studio time tomorrow after school. Not to mention all the tests."

"That's great, just make sure you don't stay at school all night."

"Speaking of projects, I made a fun little mug for you. It's awesome, and I added a music staff on the side. I hope you like it."

"Ev, you didn't have to. You've already made multiple mugs for me."

"I wanted to; I swear. Besides, I had time at lunch to play around."

"Have you moved from the library to the pottery studio?" He asks jokingly over the phone.

I laugh, "Nope, library is still a staple."

"Fair enough."

We're both silent for a moment. I sit up against my head board and lean into the soft pillows.

"So, how's Cameron?"

"Oh," My voice drops off, "He's fine."

"You okay?" He asks.

"Yeah, he's dating Megan now. Super cute couple," I blink up at the ceiling.

"Megan Hunt?"

"Yeah."

"Oh," He's quiet for a moment, "Look, Cameron's a jerk if he doesn't see how amazing you are."

Now, it's my turn to be silent, "It's fine. I'm used to it; I know I'll never be the one for him."

"Don't let it get you down, 'kay, Ev? They'll always be other guys who will see you and love you for being your beautiful self."

"Thanks, Daniel," I sniffle, "I wish you were here."

"Me too."

I smile again. We both pause to think for a moment.

"So, how's the band?" I finally ask.

"Amazing. Hey, did I tell you we're going on tour!"

I smile at this comment. When Daniel began mentioning that a few of his friends had suggested beginning a band, I'd heard a hint of excitement, more than I've ever heard before. Now that they're producing music, it's constantly the brightest part of his life. I couldn't be prouder for him: This is his dream come true.

"When do you guys start? I'm sure it'll be amazing."

"Well, not for another month or so, but with that, I have an amazing suggestion."