thirty four

July 23, 2017 ; Portland, Oregon
Evelyn

Daniel shifts beside me. His head drops onto my shoulder as he drifts off into sleep. The music in our earphones continues as I close my eyes, beginning to drift off as well.

Interrupting our quiet state, my phone chimes once, and I glance down at the bright screen.

Cameron
Missing you :)

Cameron
I know we haven't talked much lately, but fill me in on what's been up?

Without hesitation, I clear the two messages, ignoring the flirty tone. The red circle in the corner of my screen steadily remains at ten. Opening our texts, I reread our last conversation, ensuring that I was clear about my disinterest and that he was clear about his steady relationship.

Clicking out of the blue and white blurbs, my finger hovers over his name before sliding easily to the left and pressing down on the red square. My heart rate slows down as messages from below move up and his name disappears from my screen. Taking a breath, I stare at the white screen a little longer. I steady myself as I close the app and turn off my phone, leaning my head against Daniel's, closing my eyes.

. . .

A slight breeze moves through the still night. Daniel and I move quietly through the streets, wandering groups ambling down the worn sidewalks. After the show, we decided to walk around Portland for a bit before calling it night. The city is too beautiful to say goodbye to quite yet, and both of us had missed the aura of Portland. The shops that line the road are darkened, their windows closed tightly.

"I can't believe it's gone by so fast," Daniel mutters.

He smiles at me, but I'm aware of the sadness in his eyes. For him, touring was like breathing. He felt alive and vibrant. Performing onstage with his best friends, in front of loving crowds, and traveling around the country was constant energy, excitement, and happiness. Seeing Daniel laughing and smiling more than I'd ever seen in our hometown was endearing. It was where he truly belonged, where he was truly himself.

"I can't believe it either."

We let the comment settle between us, both of us facing the upcoming months. While this is only the beginning of their career as a band, it is also a multitude of unknowns. Nobody knows what direction their career will take, but after the endless love from the Something Different tour, I couldn't help but expect sold out shows with their music on radios across the country.

As for me, senior year lingers in the background. I grimace at the thought of returning to school for another year without Daniel. The thought that Nova will be by my side as I finish off high school is exciting, and I know both of us will spend hours in the art room, chatting and joking endlessly.

We turn a corner, and I spot a familiar cafe, yellow light radiating onto the sidewalk. I've visited Portland enough to navigate the streets and shops without a map, but I hadn't been paying much attention as we strolled.

"Hey," Daniel nudges me, knowing what I'm thinking, "My treat."

"Not allowed," I respond immediately before grinning at him, "But you know that we're stopping."

"Of course. The best hot chocolate you've ever tasted. If I recall."

"You can't deny it," He rolls his eyes at this comment, but I continue, "Seriously. You know it is the best hot chocolate around. You just refuse to admit I'm right."

"Touché," He replies, "I hate admitting defeat to you."

I push open the glass door, letting Daniel enter before more.

"Thank you, ma'am," He juts his chin toward me before strolling toward the glass display windows. Their pastries are usually wiped out by mid-day, which explains the empty display.

"Two hot chocolates please," Daniel fishes for his wallet, but I beat him to it.

As the cashier—a college student barely a few years older than us—begins punching the order into the register, I place the cash needed to pay for both beverages.

"Hey," Daniel pushes my hand away from the counter, but the cashier quickly takes my money, "Not fair, Ev."

"How so?"

"I'm supposed to pay. I'm your best friend."

"If that's your logic, I'm supposed to pay too," I shrug, "I'm also your best friend believe it or not."

"You're too logical."

"I beg to differ," I easily reply before taking a hot chocolate from the cashier, "Thank you."

We exit the cafe, both lost in our own thoughts. After wandering down the street for a few minutes, Daniel breaks the silence

"I wish you could move to California with me."

"Really?" I can't help but laugh lightly at his random comment, "I feel like you'd get sick of me. I mean you've already had to deal seventeen years with me."

"You're right. You're insufferable," Daniel rolls his eyes, "No, I'm serious. I guess visiting home and spending our usual movie nights together and checking in on your mom and stealing her lemonade and having dinners with our families and just returning to our normal pattern of life made me miss what I didn't have in forever. Sometimes, I wish you weren't hours away and that I could walk a few feet and watch movies for hours."

"Yeah," I nod, remembering how lonely my weekends felt during the school year, "I wish you weren't so far away, but I also couldn't be happier for you to be doing all of this," I motion around, "I mean performing and touring and writing music? That's insane."

Daniel's eyes wander away from me. His eyes move to a faraway place as he thinks.

"Ev?" He asks, his voice soft and his eyes returning to the moment, "Promise me one thing."

"I promise," I say without a second thought.

"If you ever need me, whether it's the middle of the night or day, call me, okay? I know you probably would anyway, but the summer's ending, and I never want you to feel alone next year."

"I promise, Daniel, but you have to promise the same."

"I promise," He replies.

Our conversation is interrupted by the buzzing of his phone from his pocket. He pulls it out, placing it against his ear.

"Hello?" He asks, "Yeah . . . wait, are you serious? Of course that's fine. I'm sure Ev will be excited too . . . The week we get back? Totally. I know the girls will have a blast then," Daniel smiles at me, nodding toward me, "Okay, I'll see you guys in a bit. Bye, Jonah," He closes the screen, smiling like crazy.

"What?"

"River's coming to visit the week we get back, and Jonah called to check that it's okay if she stays with us," He states easily.

"You're kidding," I laugh, smiling at the thought of the wonderful girl we met weeks ago.

"Not one bit," Daniel replies, grinning too, before pulling me into a hug.

I apologize for last week's lull. To say I've been busy is an understatement, and I didn't have the time or energy to write. I apologize for the delay but found the break beneficial and healthier for me. Thank you to everyone for understanding and reading nevertheless. I appreciate it all!

Have a wonderful Friday!
» Melody