five

June 21, 2017 ; Los Angeles, California
Evelyn

The next day, Daniel designates the day for us to catch up. Since Nova and I are exhausted from traveling, we leave in the afternoon.

"Bye, guys," I wave to Zach and Nova who are gorging on Oreos at the dining table.

"Have fun," Nova bites into another Oreo.

"You're taking all my Oreos, Nova," Zach complains before picking another one from the box.

Daniel shakes his head at the two. Jonah and Jack are intensely focused on a game of 2k in the living room while Corbyn texts intensely next to them. Jonah manages to nod a goodbye to us, but Jack remains focused on the game.

Daniel and I step outside, and immediately, the warm sun bathes me in golden light. I squint into the sunlight.

"Don't you miss the Vancouver rain?" I nudge my shoulder against his.

"Of course," He smiles down at me, "There's no place like home."

"There's no place like home," I repeat quietly.

Daniel drives. He allows me to plug in my phone to play music, so I chose my favorite Why Don't We song. He shakes his head as On My Way begins.

"I love this song," I lean my temple against the cool, glass window.

"I'm glad," Daniel smiles, focusing on the road.

I close my eyes, letting the words wash over me slowly. When the song reaches the chorus, Daniel quietly sings along.

"Don't worry, I'm on my way."

I turn to him, watching as his eyes focus on the road.

"Like a shooting star, I'll crash into your galaxy," He continues quietly.

He's smiling to himself, lost in thought. We're both silent as the song continues. I continue watching him. His eyes remain focused on the road, but they're distant. A small smile forms on his lips as if he's reliving a happy memory.

"I can see you clear," Daniel begins singing quietly again. We stop at a stoplight, and he turns toward me. We smile at each other for a quiet moment, "You are everywhere."

I laugh at this, "You live in my mind," He continues. His eyes are soft as he gazes at me, "Wanna keep you there," He continues quietly.

The song moves into the chorus, but Daniel stops, "Gosh, I missed you so much, Ev," He says suddenly.

"I missed you too, Danny."

The light turns green, pulling him away from his memory. I lean back against the window and watch the scenery fly past.

. . .

We pull into a small cafè for dinner.

"This food is amazing here. You'll love it," Daniel pushes the car door open and jumps out.

"I'm always down for good food," I joke, and we both start toward the entrance.

"Table for two?" Daniel asks the host. He leads us to a small booth toward the middle of the restaurant. The energy is warm and welcoming. People chat in quiet voices.

"What do you get?" I ask him after looking at the menu.

"The turkey pesto is amazing. You need to try it, and their lemonade."