seven

June 23, 2017 ; New York, New York
Evelyn

We shuffle off the plane slowly. Nova bounces on her toes behind me, craning her neck to see New York. I tip toe over Daniel's shoulder.

"Awww," I watch as Corbyn smiles at his phone, fingers flying over the keys quickly, "He's so excited to see Christina. They're so cute."

I pout, "Relationships are so cute."

"They are quite cute," Daniel agrees, laughing at me.

We continue following Corbyn out the airplane and towards baggage claim. Since he is most familiar with the airport and is heading to meet Christina, we allow him to lead.

Christina is waiting for us in the baggage claim to pick up Corbyn. They will spend the next few days together while we stay at a hotel with the rest of the boys.

Corbyn breaks into a run in front of us. I watch as he pulls Christina toward him. They hug for a few moments, huge smiles plastered on their faces.

"Hey, guys!" Christina greets the rest of the group. She quickly hugs Jack and Jonah.

Daniel hugs Christina, "This is Ev," He says motioning to me, "My best friend from Vancouver."

"Hi," Christina hugs me.

"Hi, Christina," I smile.

Christina greets Zach.

"And, this is Nova," Zach says.

"She's my friend from school and their," I refer to the Why Don't We boys, "Photographer."

"Nice to meet you, Nova."

We smile at each other, "Well, the boys have quite a group," Christina winks, "Shall we start heading out?"

"Sure," Corbyn shrugs, "See you later, guys."

. . .

Nova

I turn over once more to ensure Evelyn is sleeping.

Carefully, I stand up. New York light floods through the window. People are still moving below us in Times Square.

I slip on a hoodie before quietly opening the door. While everyone is exhausted from traveling, I can't sleep; I just want to explore the city.

The lobby is quiet except for a few workers talking. They watch me for a moment before returning to their conversation. I walk past a group of chairs before I'm stopped by a voice.

"Nova?"

I spin around and, immediately, start smiling, "Hey, Zach."

"Can't sleep?" He asks, standing up.

"Yeah," I let out a breath.

"Okay," He pauses, "Lead the way."

"Lead the way?"

"Let's explore. Let's go have fun. Okay?"

I smile at this. My eyes meet the city below me, "Okay."

. . .

"Where are we going?" I ask. We wandered about Times Square for a few minutes, and currently, we've wandered a few blocks further.

"There," Zach points at a tall building. He starts off running. I laugh and run after him.

He's up the stairs quicker than me. I don't stop to catch my breath until I reach to top. Zach is standing on the edge of the building looking out at the city.

He turns around, "This is incredible."

I turn around once, "It is."

We admire the city lights for a few silent minutes before he pats the cement near him. We dangle our feet over the edge of the building.

"Do you do this at home?" Zach asks. I feel his eyes on me.

"This? Sitting on New York buildings looking at city lights? No," I smile, "But I love exploring. My friends and I run around the city late at night."

Zach nods, "Yeah, it must be nice to be able to explore and just have fun," He shakes his head, "I love my music career. It's honestly a dream come true, but occasionally, I miss being in a normal classroom and having normal friends. The Why Don't We boys are amazing, but sometimes, I see girls and boys on study dates and talking about their High School. It's just not the same."

I nod, "It makes sense. I couldn't imagine giving up my childhood. If it was for photography, sure, but it would be different."

"You love photography a ton?"

"Yeah. It's just amazing."

"Understood."

We're silent, "So, tell me about your friends, your school, anything."

"I love my friends," I pause, "And, I love Evelyn."

Zach looks at me strangely, "That sounds like a story."

I sigh, "It's just . . . I have adventurous friends. I have people who want to run wild. They don't necessarily care about school, so whenever I study or something, it's like I'm not part of them," I pause again, "And, Evelyn. School is the key to her world. I know she's been working for four years to receive a merit scholarships. I know this is her beginning, but I don't want to constantly study. I want to adventure, so I'm not part of her either. I'm between. Like I don't exactly belong."

"That makes sense," Zach smiles, "I was like that before I found the Why Don't We boys. I was lost, but eventually, you find people who are just like you and accept you."

"I'm glad," I sigh, "I know Evelyn would accept me for myself, but she wouldn't go out there and adventure. I trust her a ton, but I still want someone adventurous, you know?"

"Yeah," Zach replies quietly. He turns back to the city lights. We sit in silent for a minute, allowing ourselves to think.

"I have a proposition," Zach blurts out suddenly.

"Shoot," I reply, turning to Zach.

"You want someone adventurous right? How about this," Zach sticks his pinky out toward me, "In every city, we run away one night and explore. We go crazy and see everying."

I smile and slip my pinky into his, "Deal."

"Deal."