eighteen

July 4, 2017 ; Minneapolis, Minnesota
River

My heart pounds as I walk slowly across the gravely parking lot. I make out Gemma's slumped figure sitting in the trunk of Jonah's car.

"Hey, Gem, you okay?" I ask hesitantly. I'm only met with silence as Gemma looks at me in the dark. Her eyes show immense anger and hatred, which increases my heartbeat.

"How could you?" She suddenly yells out.

"How could I—"

I'm cut off by her impatient voice, "You left me to go with him," Gemma shouts at me, "I trusted you to not go after Jonah."

"I never—"

"Do you know how much it hurts to see anyone, especially you, with him?" She continues shouting.

"I thought that you, my best friend, would never ever make a move on Jonah; I guess I was wrong," She hisses, "My best friend is a two-faced—"

My heart drops at her words. I cut her off mid-sentence, "I'm sorry," My voice shakes as I mutter those two words, "I promise I never meant to hurt you."

She continues glaring at me, "As if," She spits out at me.

"I swear, Gemma."

"If you're going to prove that I can trust you," She offers deviously, "You can't talk to any of them. Is that understood?"

"Fine," I mutter under my breath, "Fine."

"Great," Gemma jumps off the trunk, "I'm glad we're clear."

We both start down the hill. Gemma leads as I follow behind, my head whirling with thoughts. She's silent and brooding, her shoulders tightened in anger. I want to shout or scream or resist, but instead, I give in.

She's right. I think to myself. I stepped out of line.

"River!" Jonah calls, pulling me out of my angry thoughts, "Come on, we've been waiting. I have a . . . " His voice trails off as he analyzes my expression, "Are you okay?"

I walk past him, not meeting his eyes, "Forget it."

. . .

July 5, 2017 ; Minneapolis, Minnesota
Evelyn

I stare awkwardly at my hands. The room falls into a deep silence.

"What happened last night, River?" I ask quietly.

The boys are warming up in the room next door, and Gemma excused herself to use the restroom soon after Nova left to set up, leaving River and I alone in the dressing room.

She ignores me, glancing up and glaring before dropping her eyes down to her phone once more.

"River?" My voice rises, "Please talk to me," I plead.

This finally breaks her, "I can't," She states plainly.

Confusions clouds my head, "If it's because you feel excluded, we all love you and want to get to know you, but if you ignore us, then we can't—"

"No," Her voice is quiet, "I can't talk to you."

"Says who?"

"Gemma."

I narrow my eyes at River, "Not. Okay."

"Yes, so please do me a favor and don't talk to me or tell her about this conversation."

"Why don't you stand up to her?"

River shakes her head, "I would, but last time a friend disagreed with her, she started a rumor that spread throughout the school, and it was so bad it caused the girl to move away. I don't want to endure that."