twelve

June 27, 2017 ; Boston, Massachusetts
Nova

Today 8:40 PM

Zach
nova

Nova
que?

Zach
you're in charge
of showing me around
boston.

Nova
oh really?

Nova
meet in the lobby
at two

Nova
boston like you've
never seen it before

Zach
aight. this better be
good.
read 8:43pm

. . .

Zach is waiting for me in the lobby when I finally make it downstairs. I glance behind my back, ensuring that Evelyn isn't behind me.

"Hey," Zach stands straight, changing from his slumped position against the wall.

"Good morning," I respond jokingly.

"So, where to?" Zach asks while motioning for me to lead the way.

We exit the lobby and step into the warm air. I glance upwards to the bright city lights above me and smile, "Boston is amazing," I breathe slowly, "It's a surprise," I glance at Zach mischievously and motion for him to follow me.

We wander down the near-empty streets. A few drunk people stagger past us mumbling incoherent words. Zach pulls me closer to him protectively as we make our way past a street of nightclubs.

After continuing for a bit, I turn abruptly down a neighborhood street.

"Where are you taking me?" Zach mumbles quietly.

"Patience," I point to a blue house on the corner of the street, "That's where I used to live. I wanted to visit my childhood neighborhood."

We step beside it. I stare at the wooden steps that I used to run up everyday after school. I want to reach out and touch the white trellis; I want to walk through every memory I shared at this house.

Zach smiles, "It looks like a small, little warm and welcoming home."

I close my eyes and remember all the times I would sit at the dining table scarfing mac and cheese, not that much has changed.

"Yeah, I miss it, but I also grew up. This house is my childhood. It represents who I used to be, and I've changed, whether for the better or worse, I can't tell."

Zach nods in agreement, "Even after growing up, we're still ourselves in many ways: We may have the same quirks and habits, but our goal, our purpose may change. We find new part within ourselves and explore them. We may find strength or love or something completely different. I get it."

"Is Texas like that for you? Your home? Somewhere where you've grown from? I don't think you ever quite outgrow it. It's always there as the beginning of your story."

We turn away from the house and continue walking down the street onto streets that lead us toward Harvard.

"In many ways, yes. I started singing there. I discovered my passion and my love, and my family encouraged me to grow and prosper. I definitely wouldn't be in L.A. without starting in Texas."

He steps closer to me, and we walk with our shoulders brushing with every step.

"How you doing with the whole Gemma situation?"

I shrug, "She can't harm someone who doesn't care. I just have a bad feeling about her."

"After what she did to Jonah? I don't think she could change that drastically," Zach looks at me awkwardly, "Nothing against Evelyn."

I shrug, "She has a tendency to hope for  the best in people, whether or not it's realistic. I just don't want to see anyone hurt."

"I promise," Zach whispers, "I promise no one will get hurt. Unless it's Jonah, I'm not sure how that will play out."

We turn down a worn road. I glance toward the college my father went to, "He'll be okay," My voice is quiet against the Boston noise, "This is Harvard."

"Not to shabby," Zach jokes, "For the best college in America, the center of all American knowledge."

I laugh, "True. Let's wander the campus," I point toward a collection of small buildings. The cement below me is worn, and a sleepy hush has fallen over the campus.

We walk in silence for a few minutes, "Have you ever been hurt because you fell for someone?" I ask apprehensively. My heart pounds strangely.

"Yeah," Zach shrugs, "She was a girlfriend a long time ago. It was complicated, but better for the both of us. I took it in stride, but I'm not sure how she is now," He pauses, "Have you?"

"Yeah," I nod, "He was my best friend until we kind of just fell apart. He left me raw with emotion, and sometimes, I still wonder how he is. I've moved on, though; I've realized how immature our emotions were and how imperfect he was when I'd thought he was the perfect everything."

"I'm sorry, Nova," Zach wraps his left arm around my shoulder in a side hug, "It's never easy."

"Nothing ever is," I sigh, "I definitely couldn't be here without Why Don't We, though. Touring, it's insane."

"I couldn't be here without the four other boys in my band, and we needed a photographer. The dreamers chase their dreams together."

I smile at the last line, "The dreamers chase their dreams together," A small jolt of laughter escapes from my lips, "I love it."

"I do too."

an early update for you guys! i'm going to try to update tomorrow too :) stay tuned❤️