nine

June 25, 2017 ; New York, New York
Jack

Daniel watches as I pace uneasily across the room. He sighs loudly, rolling his eyes, but I continue ignoring him. I stop at the mirror and glance over my outfit once more. This time, Daniel coughs loudly.

"Are you sick?" I ask him.

"Yes. Sick of you being nervous," Daniel jokes, "Look, she's blind if she doesn't see you, okay? You'll be great."

"I guess," I shrug, "I mean tons of girls have caught my attention, but I really want to get to know her, and move on. I don't want this whole complicated 'does she likes me' and 'do I make a move' part."

"Then, talk to her," Daniel laughs before pushing me out the door.

Elizabeth is waiting when I step off the elevator. She's dressed black skater dress. Her hair is tied up in a small knot on the top of her head.

"You look beautiful," I smile, "I'm serious; I know it's clichè."

"Thank you," She blushes again, "Where to?"

"I thought we could walk around and just talk a bit then grab some food?"

"Sounds great," Elizabeth beams, and we step out of the hotel together.

"So, tell me about yourself. Anything," I shrug.

"Well, I'm born and raised in the suburbs of New York. I met Christina at an art class we both took, and I have a dog named Piper."

"How is it being close to New York City?" I ask out of curiosity. I love Los Angeles, but New York is a completely different city.

"To be honest, I don't travel here much. With school and extracurriculars, I don't have time to, but when I do, it's always a blast."

"I can understand that," I agree, "So, a dog named Piper?"

"Haha," She laughs, and I can't help but join in, "Yeah, she's a blast. You would like her."

"I'm sure I would."

We walk in silence for a moment.

"So, music? Has it always been your passion?"

"Yeah, I loved it when I was first introduced to it. I couldn't ask for a better support system, though. My family has always been there for me."

Elizabeth smiles, "That's nice," She falls silent, "My family is great and everything," She takes a deep breath before continuing, "It's just that they want to control every aspect of my life: where I go to school, what job I decide to go into, who I date and who I will eventually marry, what extracurriculars are, who my friends are. The list goes on."

"Wait, wait, who you marry?" I ask, surprised.

"They basically told me who I'm going to be marrying when I was a child, but they allowed me to date a little more relaxed, though they do have to approve every one of my boyfriends."

"Man, that sucks. And, your friends?"

Elizabeth rolls her eyes at this one, "Only kids from our neighborhood, the same girls I have grown up with. They're fun and all, just I have greater connections with others."

"Yeah, I get that. You have to find people who share you're interests."

She nods, "It's just that my older sister's a mess. She got into drugs from a young age and moved out as soon as she turned eighteen. My parents tried to pressure her into everything, so she used drugs as an escape, y'know?" Elizabeth traces a small figure onto her hand, "As soon as she was gone, my parents turned to me. I'm supposed to make up for her."

"You live with this pressure everyday?" I ask, surprised.

"Yeah. Well, sort of. Christina has been a great support system. Since my family 'approves' of her, she tries to take me as often as possible."

"I'm so sorry," I pull her into a side hug, "If you ever want to talk about it, I'm always here."

"Thanks," Elizabeth whispers, "It means a ton to me."

. . .

"Okay, okay, what about Lizzy?" I ask.

Elizabeth shakes her head while biting a piece of her pizza.

"Beth?"

She laughs but shakes her head.

"Eliza?"

She starts to shake her head but stops, "Actually, that's not bad. I like it."

"I finally don't have to pronounce your entire name."

"Like it's that long," She replies sarcastically.

"Don't judge my struggles," I retort. The waiter stops by with the bill, and I immediately reach for it.

"Seriously?" Eliza asks me.

"We are not getting into that clichè argument about who pays," I slip some money into the bull, "Instead, you say thank you and let it be."

"But—"

I raise my eyebrow, and she finally gives up.

"Fine," We both stand up. Her hair has escaped the knot on her head, and her smile is more radiant than this afternoon.

"Thank you," She says, walking beside me.

I slip my hand into hers. She glances down and hides her face from blushing.

"My pleasure," I wink jokingly.

We approach the hotel, where Christina is supposed to be waiting for Eliza.

"So, this is goodnight," She asks quietly. I stop outside and glance at the bright lights that illuminate the sidewalk before turning to look at her.

"Yeah," I whisper. She makes eye contact with me, and we both freeze, "No hesitation, right?" I ask her quietly.

She nods in response.

I kiss her gently on the lips as butterflies flutter within my stomach. We part, grinning.

"Hey," I ask suddenly, "How would your parents feel about a musician as your boyfriend."

"I suppose they'd have to accept it," She smiles.

"Goodnight, Eliza," I kiss her once more.

"Goodnight, Jack."

. . .

Today 10:11 PM

Jack
i had a wonderful
time with you tonight.
sleep tight <3

Eliza
thank you, jack. i miss
you, sleep tight xx
read 10:11 pm