forty three

August 18, 2017 ; Vancouver, Washington
Evelyn

Taking a deep breath, I push open the door to the small coffee shop. My eyes scan the table before settling on Anna's hunched figure.

I pull my laptop out from my backpack. Five days into school and I'm already swamped with homework. Nova texts me, asking if I'm planning to work in the studio next week. I know she has an idea on everything that's happened, but I've done my best to avoid her. The last thing I want to do is talk about Daniel.

I'd returned home confused, and Anna had caught on quickly. She didn't pester, but I think she put two and two together within a few days because I'd caught her outside on the phone talking to someone. I didn't push her, and she didn't ask.

Within a day or so, we fell into a new rhythm. Before school had ended last year, Anna and I discovered a new coffee shop, so she quickly took to studying after school with her group of friends. Since it was a short walk, she opted to leave school and walk here. I would drive to the shop after school as well, and then, we'd depart together

After a few hours of studying, I begin to clean up. As I'm placing my laptop back into my laptop sleeve. A note catches my eye. I carefully pull the worn index card out of the pocket, placing it on the table.

Blue pen seeps through the paper, leaving the back with a handful of dots that I know shape letters. I flip the note over, easily recognizing Daniel's handwriting.

Ev!

I know I'm not at school with you this year, but I hope your having a great day, and I wish I could be there to crack an awful joke.

I miss you, but I'll talk to you soon.

Love,

Daniel

Before he'd left last year, he'd hidden this in my laptop, figuring I'd find it on the first day of school. I'd kept it around for good luck, but now, it just makes me miss him more. I reread the note again. Sniffing, I wipe a tear off my cheek.

Folding the index card in half again, I place it under my phone, knowing I'll want to see it later.

"Hey." Anna takes a seat across from me.

"Hi," I manage to say quickly, wiping another tear off my cheek. "Ready to go?"

She nods, and we both head to my car in the far corner of the small lot. I get in, placing my backpack on the backseat and sliding into the drivers seat.

"What's that?" Anna asks me, pointing at the folded index card.

My eyes flicker toward the piece of the paper before returning the road.

"Um, nothing." I cough a bit to avoid my tears.

She doesn't respond, instead looking out the window distantly.

"Evelyn." Anna's voice breaks the silence of the car. "If that's from Daniel . . ."

She trails off into through, as if collecting her thoughts.

"I can't remember a time where he didn't care about you. When you were sick, he'd always be asking Mom if you were okay, and whenever you were stressed about something, he wouldn't rest until he knew that you had gone to sleep. Daniel cares about you so much that he would do anything for you."

She stops, and I don't know how to respond. I only feel confused and tired.

"But," Anna continues. "I only saw one person care about someone as much as he did, and that was you. You would go as far—sometimes further—to make sure he was okay.

"You two care about each other so much that nothing will stop you, and it's magical in so many ways. Never forget that."

Anna's words bring me two tears. I quickly wipe my tears away. She waits for my response, looking out the window as I keep my eyes trained on the road in front of me.

"I just want to talk to him." I manage to say through my constricted throat.

"Then call him."

"Anna, I—"

"You can. I know you can, and I know you will."

"You don't know . . . "

She laughs in a loving manner. "I know, Evelyn."

I can't help but laugh hopelessly at that, but my mind churns. I lose track of where we are until I'm suddenly pulling into my driveway.

Anna slowly gets out of car, shouldering her backpack. I follow her, grabbing my bag from the back.

I hear her gasp loudly. She lets out a quiet scream. Confused, I quickly slam the car door before following her around to the front.

"Anna, what—"

My eyes land on the figure in the other yard. I freeze, my heart pounding.

Only two words manage to come out in a whisper.

"You're home."