thirteen

June 29, 2017 ; Washington, D.C.
Evelyn

Nova stirs as I pull open the door. My eyes scan the room once more before I step into the carpeted hallway.

We left Boston last night and drove to Washington, D.C., but Daniel and I decided to wake early and meet for breakfast before they needed to sound check.

I press the elevator button and offer a small smile to the family beside me.

"Good morning," I chirp, and the mom looks up from her five year-old child, opening her mouth to respond.

"Good morning," We both turn, surprised. I look at the blonde figure behind me, and my heart drops a bit.

"Good morning, Gemma," My hands fly up to my ponytail, a nervous tick, "How are you?"

"I'm wonderful," She responds icily, "Jonah and I had a wonderful time exploring D.C. last night," She says, emphasizing Jonah's name.

I nod awkwardly, "I'm sure it was great," The elevator dings beside me, and I follow the family inside. Gemma follows me in.

"And, why are you up so early?" She asks.

"I'm meeting Daniel for breakfast this morning," I pull out my phone and open it in an attempt to avoid conversation, but Gemma pushes onward.

Her eyes narrow at my comment, "Mmm?" She glares at me below her eyelashes.

A pleasant ding sounds throughout the elevator. Letting a slow breath, I step toward the door. The metal rectangles slowly slide open, and I step out, immediately finding Daniel, who's sitting on a couch scrolling through his phone.

He jumps up, beaming, "Good morning, Ev," His smile warms the icy aura around me, and I welcome his arms around me.

"Hey, Danny," I mumble into his shoulder before pulling away.

Daniel, who had been oblivious about Gemma's presence, stiffens at the sight of her behind me.

"Gemma," He smiles and nods before turning to me, "Where are we going?"

"I found this great restaurant. It's—"

"Daniel, I was wondering if—"

Daniel's eyes flickers over to Gemma but nods toward to me, "I'd love to try it."

"Daniel, I need your advice," Gemma blinks innocently. 

"Mhm?" Daniel asks while pulling out his phone and handing it to me to find the restaurant.

"You're best friends with Jonah. I'm just worried he doesn't really like me, y'know?"

"I'm sure he likes you fine," Daniel responds tiredly. His head hovers over my shoulder as I scroll through Google.

"Yes, but last time, I wasn't enough. How can I be enough for him now?"

We both turn rapidly to Gemma.

"I'm sorry, you weren't enough?" Daniel asks in disbelief.

"Why else would he have left me in a field alone?"

"I'm sure you were fine. You both weren't ready for a long-term relationship," I offer quietly while pointing to the screen. Daniel nods.

"But—"

"I'm sorry to cut this short, but we need to head to breakfast," Daniel interjects, "See you later, Gemma."

We start out of the lobby, and I don't check behind my shoulder until I'm halfway out the door. Gemma meets my eyes and glares for a long moment.

"Don't mess with me," She mouths slowly.

. . .

"She what!?" Nova asks, jumping up from her lounging position on the bed.

When I returned from breakfast, Nova was up, so I recalled our encounter with Gemma as she playing on her phone.

"She said she thinks that she wasn't good enough for Jonah," I repeat lamely.

Nova falls backwards, allowing her phone to bounce across the mattress, "Ugh. I need to take that girl down. I just—"

"Nove," My voice is quiet, "Maybe she truly believes that? Maybe she's back because she still loves him."

"No," Nova jumps up and begins pacing the room, "It's more than that. She's faking something."

"How do you know?"

"I don't, which is why I need to figure this out."

"Please don't break rules."

"I won't," Her voice is quiet as she continues pacing in thought.

"So, what are you going to do?"

Nova suddenly turns to me and smiles mischievously, "I'm going to need your help."

I groan, "Fine, but I'm in it to see if she really has changed."

"And I'm in it to prove she hasn't."