twenty five

July 12, 2017 ; Phoenix, Arizona
Evelyn

"Good morning, Nove," I chime, pushing open the hotel door. Nova is sprawled out on the bed, scrolling through her phone.

"Hey," She responds plainly, still staring at her phone.

"I brought breakfast for you. Everyone else and I went to breakfast, but you were still sleeping, so I figured I would bring some chocolate chip pancakes back for you," I place the plastic package onto the dresser and turn to look at her.

The past five days have been like this: Nova barely doing anything, just going to shows and taking photos. She barely speaks to anyone, including Zach, and while I've tried to get her more involved, it's resulted in her responding snappily.

"Do you want to go shopping with?" I ask cheerfully.

"I'll pass," She sighs while taking the pancakes out of the container, "Thanks."

"Are you sure?" I ask hopefully, hoping she'll change her mind and decide to join us, "You haven't done much lately, so maybe today is a great—-''

"I said no," She snaps at me, glaring, "Just leave me alone."

"Fine, fine," I retreat, heading out the door, "Text me if you want to join."

Zach is standing outside our door when I exit. His face is pale with worry, and he sighs sadly when he sees that I am exiting alone, "Something's wrong."

"She won't talk. I've tried to ask what's up, but no," I shake my head, "No response."

"I just don't understand. Everything was fine until suddenly they weren't," He responds sullenly, "Come on, the boys are waiting."

I nod bravely, but as we start down the hall, I turn around to glance at the doorway once more.

. . .

"Hey," I say quietly while entering the room.

Nova hasn't seemed to budge since this morning; the container of half-eaten pancakes is open on the desk while the TV is blasting loudly. She flips through the channels slowly, not looking at me.

"Do you want to come to dinner with us?" I stand in front of the TV to block her view.

"No."

"Okay," I sigh, exasperated, "We need to talk, so please turn off the TV and give me more than one word answers."

She ignores me, still flipping through channels, "Nova!" I shout, "What is going on? Seriously."

She rolls her eyes, and I whirl around, clicking the power button the TV, "Give me the remote," I demand, putting my hand out.

"I was watching TV," Nova glares at me.

"Tell me what is going on," I respond.

"Nothing is going on," Nova stands up, staring at me in eyes.

"This," I motion around the stuffy hotel room, "Is nothing?"

"Just leave me alone," She states.

"I have left you alone for the past five days without saying a word," I say through gritted teeth.

"So keep it that way."

"No, tell me what's up, and then, I'll leave you alone."

Her back is turned to me, and for a second, there is a heavy silence in the room. My heart beats quickly, but she turns around, glaring at me.

"Do you know what's up?" She shouts at me, "What's up is that you have everything: a best friend who will do anything for you, grades, a future, and you don't even notice it. You prance through life with everything. Meanwhile, all of us here have trouble finding trustworthy friends, getting high marks, and even planning a future."

"Nova! You're on a tour traveling the country with some of your closest friends, and this tour is an internship that will get you in an art college! Do you not see everything you have?" I shout back at her.

She glares at me, "I see how you have everything together. I see how you just get everything you want."

"I get everything I want?" I stare at the younger girl, "Maybe, you just aren't grateful for everything you have," I snarl at her, "Maybe, you don't realize how lucky you are and how special these opportunities are."

"I'm plenty grateful," She vociferates,"But, this tour?" She fumbles for the words while looking around, "This tour is nothing. It doesn't guarantee that I get into college," She says bitterly, "Even the best guy I've met is too busy, which I don't blame him for. I wish I never agreed to join Why Don't We," She turns away, look of disgust plastered on her face.

"You disgust me," I spit, "You complain about me, say that I am not grateful, yet you don't even appreciate what you have."

"I hate you," She snaps at me.

"That's funny," I reply sarcastically through gritted teeth, "I was about to say the same thing."

She glares at me, and I turn away, "I'm so done with you and your little ego," I storm out of the room, slamming the door behind me.

Daniel stands at the doorway, his eyes wide, and it is evident that he heard our entire argument.

"I don't want to talk," I mutter, leaving him staring after me.

happy holidays to everyone! hope your celebrations are safe, and have a prosperous 2018
much love,
mel