fifteen

July 1, 2017 ; Chicago, Illinois
Evelyn

"I need your help," My shoulder brushes with Daniel's as we walk together down the busy streets of Chicago. My eyes trail across the abundance of shops. People rush past us: tourists on a shopping spree, business men and women hurrying back after their lunch break, and small groups of college students wandering around.

"How so?" Daniel pulls me closer as a group of rowdy tourists rush past us; someone shoves me closer to Daniel.

"Thanks," I say as he drops my hand, which he grabbed to steer me out of the way, "So, Nova wants to prove that Gemma isn't so great after all—"

"Which she isn't," Daniel interrupts, "I know you think she might have changed, but I don't want to see you hurt because you trusted the wrong person."

"Thank you, but that isn't the point. We need your help getting the boys involved, except Jonah can't know that it's part of a plan. Feel free to tell Corbyn, Zach, or Jack, but if Jonah finds out we're basically plotting to bring down his . . . "

I trail off, trying to label Gemma, "Crush? Then, he'll be angry, and I don't want Gemma heading because, well, it's against her."

"Okay, that sounds reasonable. What's the plan?"

. . .

Daniel

"What're you looking at?" Corbyn's voice slightly startles me. His head is close to my shoulder as he looks down at my screen.

"A necklace for Ev," I reply nonchalantly before scrolling down the webpage further.

"I'm sorry, what?" Corbyn asks, surprised. I immediately realize what that statement implied.

"No, no, no, not like that," I shake my head vigorously, "Nothing is occurring on that front—"

"I beg to differ," Corbyn interrupts me as he sits down in the chair near me, "You two are practically inseparable."

"She's my best friend who I haven't seen for six months. Besides, this isn't the topic of conversation right now."

"It should be," He raises an eyebrow while settling down in his chair, "What's up with you two?"

"Corbyn!" I snap my finger to turn his attention back to the original topic, "She asked me for help, and you, Zach, and Jack are needed."

After explaining the idea, Corbyn agrees and starts looking for a necklace for Christina. Shortly after, Zach and Jack agree to help too.

We're all engrossed in our phones looking for the perfect gift when Jonah enters the room.

"You guys look infatuated," He states. His hair's a mess, but he still looks the same as before. Since Gemma arrived, the five of us haven't been able to just talk; someone has always been missing.

"Daniel had a great idea," Zach explains, "Obviously, we're really lucky to have friends, or girlfriends," He motions towards Jack and Corbyn who both laugh awkwardly, "Who have been crazy supportive of us. Daniel wanted to get a special gift for Evelyn, and Corbyn and Jack jumped on the idea for Christina and Elizabeth. Nova, obviously, is our photographer, but she's become a close friend to all of us, specifically me, so we're thinking of getting little necklaces for them if you wanted to join us?"

"That sounds awesome, guys," Jonah breaks into a grin, "I could get one for Gemma?"

Although it's a statement, I know he's secretly asking us for our approval, "It seems fitting," I shrug, "Let's get to work?"

. . .

I hold the small package that I bought from a jewelry store close by. We're currently in the post-office so that Corbyn and Jack can drop off their gifts for Christina and Elizabeth. Zach, Jonah, and I wait behind them.

"All done," Corbyn sighs after successfully handing over his package.

We head to the hotel. Jonah texted Gemma to meet in our hotel room, and Ev and Nova have an idea of what's about to occur.

"If this turns out just to be a reason to give Evelyn a necklace instead of some master plan, I will fight you," Corbyn whispers in my ear as we step into the elevator.

"Oh, don't worry, they are aware of the plan. It was their idea," I respond to end Corbyn's hope of some sort of romance.

When we step into the hotel room, it's obvious that the girls have been sitting in awkward silence for longer than we anticipated. Ev and Nova and talk quietly about school while Gemma sits across the room, glaring at them.

"Hey," Gemma says, springing up from her seat, "What's up?"

I glance to Jack, who nods: his phone ready. Corbyn and Jack station themselves as planned. Zach and Jonah carefully pull out their boxes and approach Nova and Gemma

"Ev," I say quietly, "I got you something," I step toward her, "Thank you for being my best friend and continuously supporting me," I hand over the small, velvet box. While she recommended that we give a meaningful gift, I never told her what exactly we bought.

Her eyes shine in a familiar excitement; she smiles widely, "Thank you, Danny," She whispers as she carefully opens the small box.

Gasping, her eyes grow wide at the necklace inside, "You didn't. Daniel," Her voice is light as she looks up at me. "Thank you so much," She tip toes and hugs me, wrapping her arms around my neck.

"Let's put it on," I smile, pulling away from her embrace. She hands over the locket, which has a photo of the two if us inside. An "E" is engraved in the center, and musical notes form a border around it.

"Thank you so much," She says once more as I clip the back onto her neck.

I turn to watch Nova open her box, "Zach, you didn't," She looks at the necklace he chose, flabbergasted.

Zach chose a simple pendant on a thin, golden colored chain. A silver moon hangs off the chain. It's small and simple, enough to take your breath away but not adorned in diamonds or meticulous engraving.

"I did," He smiles before pulling her into a hug.

"Thank you," She mumbles into his ear. Then, they pull apart and he carefully takes the necklace from her hands.

"May I?"

"You may," She laughs, pulling her hair away from her neck. Zach fastens the chain securely on her neck, and she turns around.

"What do you say?"

"It's beautiful," Zach laughs once more before hugging her again.

Ev, meanwhile, has turned to watch Gemma and Jonah. Hey eyes survey the scene quickly, and her lips form a straight line as she watches the exchange unfold.

"Did it work?" I whisper to Ev quietly, stepping behind her.

She nods, "I think it might have given us the key to figuring the truth about Gemma out."

. . .

Today 7:08 PM

Bradley
hey! i heard you were
on tour (congrats!!) and
found that you are
currently in chicago. do
you want to hang out?
i miss you and want to
catch up :) text me
what's up
delivered