thirty nine

August 4, 2017 ; Los Angelos, California
Zach

Nova stares at me from across the table.

"What?" I ask, wiping my mouth with the corner of a paper towel.

"You just ate three Oreos at one time."

"I'm aware."

"Don't you think that's a little much?"

"Never," I say while throwing my paper towel ball into the trash can, where it bounces against the edge before dropping onto the floor.

"Why do I even put up with you?" Nova sighs, taking an Oreo from the container between us.

"You decided to date me," I shrug, eating Oreo, "Which reminds me, why are we eating Oreos before our dinner in an hour?"

"You can answer that. You opened the container in the first place."

She picks up the container, returning the lid onto the top to seal it and pushes it back to the center of the table.

Neither of us dare to bring up her impending departure. It's going to be an adjustment to not be with each other. A long distance relationship is something we want to try, but going from no distance to long distance is going to be hard.

"I'm getting ready since you decided to finally take me on a nice date."

"Admit it, Nova, you seriously don't care for fancy restaurants."

"I'll never admit you're right," Nova glares at me from across the room.

"I know," I respond cheekily as she shoots me another look before leaving.

One hour later, I'm staring up at a dark sign, white letters lit with bright lights. Nova carefully takes my hand, and when our eyes meet, we smile.

"How would they feel if the Herrons suddenly fell sick?"

"Not really our vibe?" Nova asks, eyeing the couples clad in long dresses and suits that enter through the front door.

"You tell me."

"If it helps you decide, I saw a beautiful view on the ride over."

"Within walking distance?"

She nods. Before we walk away, a wrap an arm around her, kissing her gently on the temple.

"One last adventure?" I whisper.

"I couldn't ask for a better date."

Nova smiles before starting toward the empty road, her hand pulling me with her.

. . .

The lookout was empty, as we expected. Below us, L.A. lights went on for miles: a dull fire running free into the endless horizon.

"This is by far my favorite place," Nova gasps at the sight.

"For now," I say, taking a seat on the bench beside her, "This isn't our last adventure."