eleven

June 26, 2017 ; Boston, Massachusetts
Evelyn

Daniel casts a worried look at the door. We've been waiting backstage for half an hour, and Jonah still hasn't returned. Corbyn has coaxed us to let Jonah be. Jack paces across the worn, wooden floor, occasionally stopping to type a text to Elizabeth.

Nova lingers over my right shoulder, "He didn't look good when he left."

I shake my head, "Yeah, I just hope he's safe," I respond.

"He didn't see Gemma," Daniel cradles his head in his hands, "She can't be here."

"He wouldn't run back," Zach insists, "He's smarter. He promised us he wouldn't."

"Sometimes, you can't help but fall for them," Daniel whispers quietly, running his fingers messily through his hair. The room falls still and silent.

I swallow, staring at Daniel, "I'm sure he's okay, Daniel. He—"

The door bursts open, and we all sigh in relief. Zach, Daniel, Jack and Corbyn jump up immediately.

They look worriedly at the older boy, but my eyes meet the blonde figure next to him. I glance down at the interlocked fingers, and my heart pounds in my head.

Nova and I step away from the group; my hand closes around her wrist loosely as we look at each other blankly.

The room erupts in noise. Jack and Corbyn shower Jonah with questions about how he's feeling while Zach and Daniel stand uneasily behind them. Jonah lets out a deep breath.

"Guys, I'm okay," He breaks out into a smile. He pulls the blonde figure from behind him, "This is Gemma."

The room holds its breath for a silent moment.

"She's joining us on tour."

I glance uneasily at Nova, who's sitting beside me. The room is silent for a long moment.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Gemma," Zach says finally. He steps forward, offering her a courteous hand. Gemma smiles politely while shaking his hand.

Jack follows suit, "We're excited to have you."

Corbyn introduces himself, followed by Daniel.

Gemma beams at the him, "It's wonderful meeting you all. I'm excited to be touring with you," Gemma laughs, her eyes lingering on Jack and Daniel.

"We've excited to have you," Jonah replies, wrapping an arm around her shoulder. She immediately turns from Jack and smiles at Jonah.

"Thank you, Jonah," Her voice is smooth, "I missed you."

Her vibrant glow turns icy when her eyes scan the room, finding Nova and I seating timidly on the couch. She quickly steps away from Jonah, pushing her way past the boys.

She scowls at us for a moment, "And, you are?" She asks bitterly.

I stand quickly, Nova following close behind, "Evelyn Park, Daniel's best friend. I'm sure it'll be wonderful to have another girl on tour," I reply nicely, offering my hand, but she completely ignores it.

Gemma nods quickly before turning to Nova so that I'm left staring at my hand. Daniel, catching this encounter, steps closer to me.

"It'll be okay," He whispers while placing a hand on my shoulder.

"And, you?" Gemma stares at Nova, obviously uninterested.

"Nova Wilson," Nova forces a smile, "I'm their photographer," Nova nods to the boys while making eyes contact with Zach. He nods slightly, and Nova smiles at him.

"Isn't it a bit unprofessional for you to be hanging around them after shows?" Gemma raises an eyebrow.

"Nova was hired as our full-time photographer, meaning she travels with us all the time, whether or not we're currently performing," Zach interjects.

Jonah looks at Zach and Daniel for a long moment, who are both glaring at Gemma behind her back. I gently place my hand on Daniel's hand, which is on my shoulder, offering him a weak smile, "We'll be okay," I mouth, and he forces a small smile, nodding.

The room is silent as Gemma surveys the room again. Nova steps away from Gemma and closer to Zach, who whispers something that makes her laugh.

Jonah moves forward quickly. He wraps his arm around Gemma once more to ease the tension, "Do you want to help me pack up, Gemma?"

Immediately, Gemma whirls around, away from Nova, "I'd love to," She beams at Jonah before heading toward the dressing room. Jonah follows, but before he exits, he turns around and addresses the group.

"Just be nice to her," He states sternly before following her.

As soon as their out of earshot, Jack collapses onto the couch, "This is a nightmare," He groans, cradling his face in his hands, "I'm sorry you two."

"It's okay," I reply, "But, what's the scoop behind this whole Jonah-Gemma relationship?"

"Jonah liked her back in Minnesota before we were a band. He finally decided to make a move, considering they were very flirty with each other, and at first, Gemma shot him down.

"A month or so later, she runs back to him, claiming it was a mistake and that she realizes how much he means to her. I guess they became an unofficial thing then, and it was smooth sailing until Jonah found her flirting with his friends. She apologized over and over again, saying she wasn't flirting. He accepted her apology and their unofficial relationship moved forward. She repeatedly did this: flirt and hang around other boys and every time, he would accept her apology.

"They continued talking. I'm not even sure if they were an actual couple. One day, she stopped talking to him for a week. Nothing. She avoids him in school, avoids his texts, everything. After a week, she finally pops up, claiming her phone broke and that her extracurriculars were too much. They make up, and this happens a few more times.

"Finally, one day, Jonah had enough and told her he couldn't do it anymore, rightfully so. It took all his strength to walk away from her, and he never really got over it. He just ignored his past. She begged him for days that what he did was a mistake, but she finally gave up.

"All she did was hurt him. It wasn't a healthy relationship from the beginning, but he was so caught up in her looks to see the person she really is," Corbyn explains, "And, now, she's back," He finishes bitterly.

I stand, stunned.

Nova shakes her head, "Unbelievable."

"You speak the truth," Daniel agrees.

"Maybe, she's not too bad," I offer quietly.

"Are you kidding me?" Nova whirls around, "She just glared at you."

"Maybe, she thinks that we like Jonah?" I shake my head, "Look, we just have to deal with her for now. I get that she's not necessarily the greatest, but she might have changed from last time. We don't have proof that she's bad."

Nova's lips curl up wickedly. She stares at me ominously, "Yet."

happy anniversary to the why don't we boys! they've come so far and grown so much. much love to them❤️