thirty one

July 21, 2017 ; Portland, Oregon
Nova

Zach cracks a joke beside me, but I don't hear it. I feel his eyes on me as I scroll through the endless notifications on my phone. My heart sinks as I see the countless comments about our relationship.

"Hey," Zach stops laughing and stares at me with soft eyes, "It's okay. They'll have to learn to be happy with who I am happy with, okay?"

"That's not the problem," I respond, my voice barely audible, "We haven't even confirmed it, and they aren't happy. What happens if we confirm it? They're going to go ballistic."

"Then, they're going to need to realize how important you are to me and how you endlessly make me happy."

I nod, thinking his words over, "The comments still hurt."

"Understandably."

I return to the words on my screen, reading the comments again.

"Give me your phone please," Zach sticks out his hand, and I oblige.

"Why?"

"These comments have nothing to do with who you actually are," Zach scrolls through the countless words while shaking his head.

"What do you mean?"

"Nova, they don't have anything to pin their negativity on except for you. I know they keep degrading you, saying you aren't worth it. But do you want to hear what I think about you?"

"We've already done this, Zach," I respond, and while true, I add a light joking manner to it.

"What I mean is that a close friend or family member's opinion is so much more important than a million fans' opinions. They don't even know you, the real you. That's the screwed up part because if they knew who you actually were they would like you immediately."

"Thanks, Zach," I offer him a wary smile, "Isn't it unprofessional for us to be dating too though? Me being your photographer."

"I can fall for who I want," Zach's face slowly closes the gap between us, "You can't control that," He gently kisses me, "C'mon," Zach offers a hand, and I take it, "Let's go adventure."

. . .

Daniel

"Evelyn didn't want to come along?" Corbyn asks.

"With her family," I respond, shaking my head.

"That's cute," He jokes, poking me in the shoulder,  "She's probably with Anna and your mom too, considering they're also basically her family."

"Shut up," I snap back, unable to hide the smile on my face.

"Aha! You're smiling," He points at my face, "Oh gosh, you guys are too cute," Corbyn fans his face, mock-fawning over me.

"Says you," I roll my eyes, "I actually haven't met a better boyfriend than you, Mr. I-order-roses-to-my-girlfriend's-apartment. I wouldn't care except you proceeded to take her to a high-end restaurant for a date. At least allow us to mess up occasionally."

At this, Corbyn just laughs, "Alright, let's actually grab some food. Like we're supposed to."

I follow him into the grocery store. We collected orders from the three other boys, who all decided to check out a clothing store down the street, so to fill those orders, we split up.

I navigate toward the snack aisle, turning right and hurrying up the soups aisle. I hear laughter floating from the area I'm looking for and begin to turn when I register the sight before me.

Squinting, I make out Cameron, who's arms are wrapped around a vaguely familiar girl. She says  something quietly before grabbing a bag of chips. He leans down, kissing her forehead. My heart speeds up as I think of Ev. Ducking out of the aisle, I wander around the store until I'm positive they're gone.

After retrieving everything, Corbyn meets me at the check out. We wait behind a line of people when I hear two voices behind us.

"Hey, Daniel, right?" Cameron asks, causing me to turn around.

"Yeah, hi," I wave an unenthusiastic hand toward the boy I met a few days prior.

"Say hi to Evelyn for me, and let her know she should plan to hang out with us soon."

I nod, my eyes wandering to their intertwined hands, "Megan, right?" I ask the girl beside Cameron.

"That would be me. You used to live here, right? But you're like a music prodigy and moved to L.A. to form a band?"

"Yeah, that's me," I shift uneasily.

"Nice to see you," She responds.

"You too," I smile before turning and grabbing our purchases.

Corbyn finishes paying, obviously hearing the entire interaction, but he doesn't say anything until we've safely made it out of the store.

"There is no way that is Cameron, right?" He asks, breaking my nervous glances back at the couple.

My heart breaks for my best friend. Even if it hurt to see her out with other boys, she still deserves someone to treat her well, and seeing the boy who flirted shamelessly with her before moving on to get back together with his ex hurts.

"That would be him," I manage to respond, avoiding Corbyn's eyes, "Oh no, how am I going to tell her? She's going to be so hurt."

"Maybe it's for the best she knows the truth," Corbyn consoles.

"The truth that I have to bear."

Hi, all!

I just wanted to let everyone know that the next two weeks are going to be absolutely busy, starting today, so while I'm going to try to update like normal, I may miss a day and wanted to let everyone know. Between school and my extracurriculars, I just have multiple commitments in a row and may not have time to write or update.

Thank you so much for understanding!

» Melody