forty one

August 9, 2017 ; Los Angelos, California
Corbyn

I watch as Daniel pulls a box of cereal from the upper cabinet. He hums quietly while grabbing the milk carton from the kitchen table before catching my eyes.

"Yes?" He asks with a raised eyebrow.

"Nothing." I shake my head, turning my attention back to my toast.

Daniel returns to preparing his cereal and humming while Jonah ambles into the kitchen. He catches me watching as our brunette friend finishes pouring his cereal.

"Good morning?" He asks while shooting me a questioning look.

I shrug, and Jonah turns away, confused.

"Good morning," Daniel says lightly.

He takes a seat across from me before beginning to eat.

"So I had this great song idea last night that I started working on, and I wanted you guys to hear it."

"Is it a ballad?" I ask, but Daniel ignores me.

"I experiences with a new sound, something upbeat and happy."

I cough into my napkin, nearly falling out of my seat.

"Is there something wrong, Corbyn?" Daniel turns to me.

"I'd love to hear it," Jonah interjects unknowingly, "but I have to run a few errands. We could chat later?"

"Sounds perfect," Daniel agrees before shooting me another look.

I watch as Jonah exits the kitchen slowly, texting on his phone. Daniel finishes his cereal as we sit in silence, me staring at my—strangely—upbeat friend.

"Okay," I remark. "Tell me what's up."

"Nothing," he responds immediately.

"Daniel, you told your best friend you liked her four days ago, and you haven't even cried. Seriously, it's okay to be hurt."

He just rolls his eyes. "Corbyn, I'm okay, really. Thanks for caring, but it's nothing."

"Nothing as in you two avoiding each other?" I ask, leaning onto the table.

"We don't have mutual feelings, and that's that. I don't see why you're so obsessed with—"

"Daniel!" I exclaim. "Your feelings for Evelyn weren't just 'nothing.' I'm not blind. I saw the way you looked at her—the way you treated her. It was more than a childhood crush."

He doesn't respond, instead flickering his eyes toward the table. I watch him for a long moment, but he doesn't look up. Finally, as I'm about to apologize, he glances toward me, and even through traveling across the country, even through being with him almost every day, I'd never seen him hurting so much.

"Corbyn, I'm fine," his insists weakly. "Really."

"Daniel, I don't know who you're trying to convince, but it certainly isn't me."