1. Stone against Snow

"Don't you think you've had enough of that?" A dry voice cut through my mulling thoughts, as I puffed out a thick cloud of smoke. My eyes swiveled over to the tall figure standing in the door frame, an unimpressed expression on her face. Taking another drag, my eyes bore into her own, not uttering a word. "That's what, your tenth, now?" she demanded after my silence.

"Eleventh, actually," I drawled, plucking another from the cardboard packet. After I lit the cigarette and held it to my mouth, I paused, raising a brow at the figure who, much to my annoyance, had still not left. "What are you doing here, Undyne?" I sighed, stubbing the cigarette on the dirtied windowsill.

"Making sure you don't go on another murderous rampage," she shot back, stepping into the dimly lit room where a candle's flame flickered in the corner and the evening sun poured through the window.

"You think you can stop me?" The tired tone of voice was removed as a challenging edge laced my words with ice. I rose from the picked apart sofa, my full height towering over her easily. 

"There was a time," Undyne retaliated, unfazed by my aggressive tone. Rolling my eyes, I made to push past her but I was quickly shoved back, igniting an angry flame inside my eyes. She knew better than to irritate me.

"What are you doing, Sans?" An unsettling air came about her, and she stared back whilst I attempted to seem indifferent.

"That's not my name," I deflected the question, stepping forward to indicate I wanted to get past. I sighed, rolling my eyes. "Leave, Undyne. Go back to your prissy king who doesn't know a thing about leading people," I hissed, shoving the pack of cigarettes in my thick leather jacket. It was only Autumn, and the winds weren't as high as in Winter but the coat was my mark, my signature item to show who I was and my authority.

Undyne was silent, taking in my words, before she straightened her back and left the room, much to my relief. I suppose she wanted me to feel some sort of remorse or guilt, but all I felt was annoyance and the looming feeling of numbness, the usual tag along to any type of emotion. Fighting it was pointless; it was like a ticking pendulum in my mind, constant and always there. At least I knew it would never leave- that kind of mental control was an interesting comfort to me. In a world of uncertainties and unpredictable messes, the little things were unsurprisingly sought after.

Cracking my knuckles, I left the cold, small room, jogging down the wooden steps and through the open front door. The sun was finally setting, leaving shadows and the silhouettes of ruined and empty houses along the street. No one wanted to enter this part of town because 1, the debris-filled houses that couldn't be helped, and 2 - we were here, myself and my group of rebels and desolate criminals. A motley crew, but entertaining all the same.

Beginning to walk down the road, I shivered in my dark combat boots, hearing the continuous and heavy thud on the grey cobbled road. The emptiness and silence of the shadowed streets filled me with a calm sort of feeling as I continued down the path, shoving my hands in my pockets. Something about solidarity was irresistible. You might say that living like that would be unbearably lonely, but I saw it as a addictive break from the hubbub of idiots that greeted me daily. No one in this city had a brain; Undyne was the closest thing to being rather intelligent, but her blind loyalty to Asgore saved her from being written in my good books. People like that I didn't tolerate, but then there were the fools who jumped at my beck and call, so there we go.

There was a tall and thick chain link fence that ran round the outskirts of the town. At the main entrance, at least a mile or more away from here, the fence stopped. I believed it was a simple invitation for bandits or human opposition to jump in, but others saw it as the opposite. A beacon of hope for lost monsters, or some crap like that. Dragging a wooden crate against the fence, I hitched myself up and swung over it easily, brushing my shoulders and smoothing my leather jacket.

Snowflakes had began to fall from the darkening sky, biting at my uncovered bones. A canopy of shadowed trees only blocked the snow slightly, so pulling up my hood I continued to trek through the thick stretch of the forest- the only peaceful place outside of the isolation that was my room.

I began to pick up low voices as my feet continued to sink into the snow, and light flickered behind silhouettes of trees meters forward. I stepped behind one, glancing around its gnarled bark. Just as I predicted, the human camp was still here, hiding out in the woods right under the monsters' nose. It was hilarious to watch Asgore's obliviousness, as he so obviously had no idea about the camps dotted around near here. If he did, why he wasn't doing anything I didn't know.

I had been monitoring this specific group for a while- 3 males, 3 females, with tents and a small fire. Guns in the tents, radios strapped to their shoulders. They had not yet moved, just as I expected. It wasn't like they had anywhere to maneuver to this close to the city.

Snow had begun to settle on the dark-coloured dirt, slipping through the cracks in the ceiling of leaves above. Soon, it would probably be about an inch deep. The crunch of my boots in the white carpet silenced as I paused, poised, ready to attack.

Now.

I stepped out from behind the trees, the shadows of the trees like a veil over my figure. An amber flame ignited in my right eye socket and my fist was coated in bright, glowing magic.

They never knew what hit them.

Grabbing the first male who stood apart from the rest of the humans, I held him in a choke hold until he stopped breathing, letting him crumple to the ground. Only two were in their sleeping bags, but two of the awake humans bolted upwards, their eyes widening in fear. My hood caused shadows to cascade down my face, only revealing the one glowing eye and my grin slowly spreading over my face. Stretching out my hands, I watched as one of the females snatched a gun from her feet and cocked it, already pulling the trigger. Amber darts shot out from my fingertips catching the bullets in the air and ripping them through the female's partners. She could only watch helplessly as they sank to their knees, blood seeping out and colouring the snow scarlet. Magic flowed from my hands, wrapping around the woman's neck and squeezing until she gave up the fight.

Good.

By this point, the female and male who had been previously sleeping were finally coming to their senses- but they were too late, only waking to see their friends dead by their feet. Snow crunched underneath my feet and a hard chuckle escaped my mouth. It stopped dead in its tracks when the female human's wild eyes found my own, her face as white as the snow that was falling on her head. Nostalgia rose up in me like bile, distracting me for only a second- a second too long. A bang echoed through the trees, and I looked back at the two. The male held a smoking gun in his hand, staring at me petrified. He probably was expecting me to be on the ground screaming or something, but looking down at my torso there was a hole in the material where the bullet had pierced through. I chuckled lowly before grabbing them both in swirls of dangerous golden rays and smashing their heads together, a satisfying crunch echoing through the falling snow.

A chill ran through my bones as my boots left dents in the thick layers of pristine white snow, some parts beautifully decorated in ruby red blood. Wind picked up, rushing through the trees and putting out the fire in a swift whoosh. Huffing in annoyance, I tightened the fluff-rimmed hood on my head and swiveled on my heels to return to the city.

Another tally to add to the rest, it seemed.

------------8------------------------------------------------------------------