39. This Is Only The Beginning

The courtyard looked to be the same as before, but if you were to examine it more closely, you would see that the flowers were less alive, the grass longer around the edges. I remembered taking walks through the wooden arch ways a long time ago, on a peaceful day. Here, now, the place looked sadly empty. They had more important things to tend to, I supposed.

In the center of the courtyard stood Asgore in his shining gold armour, Papyrus in his spotless 'battle-bod', and Undyne in her casual leather jacket and black jeans and boots. They were in conversation, passing comments between each other; if I had excellent hearing, I would say that I would hear them talking about the next course of action.

The air felt fearful, anticipating another attack from the humans, and I wasn't sure if I was ready for it. Were any of us?

"Ah, G-Sans, Y/n. I assume you are here to learn of the humans' movements?" Asgore said, turning to us. His purple cape swayed with his movements, pooling at the dark green grass beneath him.

"Somethin' like that," G answered, tucking his hands into his leather jacket pockets.

"Yeah, we'd like to know everything that's been happening, and if we can help," I continued G's comment, stepping forward. Papyrus and Undyne regarded me for a moment, a small grin on the fish woman's face and a look of respect on the skeleton's.

"A patrol of mine went out half and hour ago human," Papyrus said, grabbing my attention. Something warmed inside of me when he said 'human', even though it wasn't in his usual screaming voice. It took me back to days at their house- speaking of which, where was it? I wanted to see it. "They went to find human camps and learn of their plans, and they should be back any minute now," he nodded, and I mirrored the action.

Suddenly a monster jogged into the courtyard, adorned in Royal Guard armour. He bowed at his king and looked to Papyrus.

"Our patrol has arrived, sir," the monster said, and internally I complimented his excellent timing. Another part of me was unable to believe that anyone would call Papyrus 'sir', however it merely showed how much I had missed. My soul drooped at the thought. 

"Anything to report?"

"Yes, sir. We eavesdropped and found the humans talking about attacking at dawn," the monster explained, his three fingers resting on his metal hip. Asgore straightened, his features turning solemn.

"Then we must prepare. They will bring the fight to us, but we will be ready," he said, and the group nodded, a chorus of agreements running through the air. "Undyne, I want you to help coordinate Papyrus' troops. Fortify the grounds and evacuate all citizens. This time, we will be ready. No one will be caught in the crossfire," he promised, and I swear he glanced at me at the last part. G slipped his hand into mine and my eyes found him.

Don't worry, I thought, I'm not going anywhere this time.

He nodded, as if hearing my thoughts, and I looked to the sky, seeing the sky turning a mixture of lilac and orange, blended only by the hands of a great artist.

When they came, we would be ready.

------89077-----9-------------------

The sun was gone, nestled into the earth and waiting for the birds' calling to rise again. The moon had taken it's place, casting silver light across the city. Stars like pinholes in the fabric of the sky shone out, the air that of... Anticipation? Dread? Excitement? All of the above? I wasn't sure. 

I stepped out of the training hall, feeling the chill of the air curl down my spine, the hairs on my nape standing on end. A few minutes ago I had been doing some training of my own, some last minute help for what we were about to face; I was hardly certain a few hits to a punching bag would make me invincible, but it felt good to let off some steam.

Jogging down the winding path of stones, I saw small fires lit at the base of the Capital Building, soldiers huddled around and talking in hushed voices to one another. Despite all the monsters out here, the air was quiet, the smell of smoke drifting upward.

"You're doing this?" an incriminating voice spoke out, and I glanced to the side. Undyne, wearing her majestic armour with her helmet under her arm stood there. I pictured a glimmering turquoise spear in her right hand, her scarlet ponytail waving in the wind.

"Why wouldn't I?"

"I don't know, kid. You've taken quite the beating from what I heard from G," she said, her voice rough but easy. She approached and stood beside me, looking out at the monsters readying themselves.

"That's true. But I've recuperated, I'm ready to do this," I nodded firmly. Undyne glanced at me for a moment, her singular pupil scanning my face.

"What you've done for us, punk... It's only half the fight," Undyne sighed, scratching her head. I remained silent. "Chara was a huge menace in the Underground, but at the time none of us knew it. I'm sure you know all the stuff that went down now, but..." She paused, grasping at the words. "What I'm tryna' say is... Thank you. I think I'm the first to say that."

"You are, actually," I laughed humourlessly. "When I came back, so much had changed. I had changed. But it was like no one had realized I'd gone," I admitted, suddenly feeling self-conscious. Why was I telling her all this? She was meant to hate me.

"You're wrong, kid," Undyne suddenly said, her gravelly voice quietening. "Your disappearance affected all of us, even if we didn't realize it. Gah, I remember the first time I saw you, you were this tiny scrawny thing that looked like it couldn't beat up a shrimp," she cackled, and I smiled, even though it was a not-so-discreet insult. "But now... You're lookin' like a real warrior- I can see it in yer'eye." My heart soared at the compliment, and I looked up at Undyne. She grinned heartily. "We're all fighting together now, we're all family fighting for our turf n' our lives. I don't care if you're a human, you've proved yourself to be one of us now."

"Thank.. Thanks, Undyne," I said, clearing my throat. I wasn't gonna cry, I was not gonna cry in front of a fish powerhouse who literally just called me a warrior- and one of them!

"Don't cry punk, I'm still gonna fight you and whoop your ass someday." Undyne cackled for a moment before jogging off down the steps, her armour clanking loudly as she left. I grinned, shaking my head. There's the classic Undyne.

"Wait, what the hell are you doing out here?" a familiar voice demanded, and I knew I was in for a hell of a ride. I had anticipated this however.

"G..." I warned him, but he shook his head, his fists balled as he walked down the steps to where I was.

"Nah, Y/n. I thought you were gonna be in the bunker with all the citizens!" he said, towering over me.

"I'm here because I can fight," I replied, my tone clipped.

"You're not gonna leave me again," G growled, folding his arms and facing me head on. I turned, sighing heavily.

"That's right, I'm not. I'm stronger this time G, I can fight and I can protect myself," I said, facing away from him.

"I don't care, you need to get in the bunker." He was so stubborn when he wanted to be. I whirled around, my fists clenched.

"Did you not just hear me? You saw what I did- WE did to Chara! Don't you think that shows that I can defend myself?"

"This ain't your fight."

"Like hell it isn't! This is as much my fight as it is yours! They killed my family G!" I cried, my voice cracking. He softened slightly. "And they nearly destroyed this place, this family, my home!"

He said nothing.

"I can fight, I can help, so I will," I said, quieter than before. His face darkened, his features twisting into an expression of sadness. "You won't lose me, G. I'm not going anywhere," I whispered, placing a hand on his cheek. He held it, his touch like a breath.

"We stick together," he muttered, drawing me in.

"Like glue," I smiled up at him, before he captured me in his arms.

Maybe I shouldn't have made such promises, looking back.

That was the first mistake.

---------8989--99--01010101---7833-