19. A Reminder

A/n: Play the song for some cutesy atmosphere shizzle...

Cold stone greeted me as I slipped off the uncomfortable wooden bench, landing hard on the cell floor beneath me. Groaning, I struggled to get up, feeling the quick onslaught of a headache as I was upright again. I didn't need to remember where I was this time- the stone floor and the bland food was enough to remind me of my situation. Dazed, I glanced out of the window to my left, high on the wall and 'beautifully decorated' with small iron bars. Sunlight peered through, dancing on the floor flickering slightly, interrupted by puffs of snow floating by. The view calmed me for a moment as I let it absorb my attention.

But, I knew I couldn't stare at the snow all day- even though I wished I could. Glancing around once more, I noticed in the corner a neat little stack of clothes that I quickly took into account were in fact, my own. Someone must have dropped some off, and my mind immediately went to Grillby. Shame suddenly overtook me; I wouldn't really want him of all people seeing me like this, but he was the only one who knew the truth about Marli, so that comforted me vaguely. Just the thought of her infuriated me, and quickly reminded me that not all humans were kind and forgiving like.. like...

Y/n.

I hadn't spared her a thought in a while, had I? Well, perhaps somewhat with talk of the Void and Chara, but her alone? It made my soul ache uncontrollably. Maybe that was why I pushed her out of my mind, after all these years. Maybe it was time to reconsider that notion.

All at once, as soon as I opened the gates to memories of her, everything came with it. How I lost her, how I stupidly left her alone, how I stopped looking for her...

I shook my head, inwardly slapping myself. A gang boss wouldn't be this pathetic! So I slowed down, taking a deep breath and changing my clothes, before sitting down on the less than cosy bench/bed.

Steadily, I let my mind take me back. Her laugh, her smell, her voice- it was like a pause to the nightmare that I had thrown myself into.

"Human? What happened?" I asked her. She looked up at me, her glazed-over eyes filled with confusion at my appearance. I slowly retracted myself, slightly embarrassed.

"N-nightmare.." she finally spoke, but nothing more. The small silence felt long and drawn out as numerous thoughts ran through my mind. I knew nightmares back to front, having experienced so many. I knew the terror of seemingly unreal dreams, haunting you with no escape.

"It's okay now, you're awake." I sighed, trying to be somewhat supportive.

"You're not very good at this." she murmured, as she wiped her cheeks roughly.

"I know." I chuckled, rubbing my face with my hands.

"Thanks, G."

And again..

"Night, sweetheart," I grinned down at her, watching her cheeks heat up adorably. An idea came into my head as she averted her eyes, and so I leaned down and kissed her on the nose, chuckling when a small squawk escaped her mouth.

The memories were so painful to think upon, but I couldn't forget, how could I?

"I love you, Y/n, and nothing will ever change that." I finally spoke, my eyes searching her face for a reaction.

"I love you too." She smiled, her expression of pure joy as we leaned forward to kiss again.

And I did love her, I knew for real this time.

This time, nothing would be able to break that bond, whatever life threw at us.

"Whatever, hm?" I sighed, leaning back on the brick wall behind me. A small smile found its way onto my face as I let my mind rest. Y/n really did mean everything to me, and I vowed nothing would come between us, so I had to keep it. I made a promise to her, and I wasn't planning on breaking it.

However, as soon as my thoughts had settled to some sort of peace, an alarming ringing sound began to echo through my mind, pain piercing my skull. This feeling, this magic.. I knew it. I knew this magic, but I hadn't felt it in such a long time.. Why now?

A flurry of magic seemed to collect before me in the small cell, clouds of dust rising from the ground, and then- 

I passed out.

/-=';\

After a short darkness, a small blue-ish light invaded my sight, urging me to sit up- and so I did. Patting myself down, I found everything was as it was, but my surroundings were quite different, and I knew where I was.

"Waterfall?" I murmured, leaning on my hands and steadily standing up. Sure enough, it looked exactly like it. Despite the fact, something felt different, as the ground beneath me shuddered and flickered alarmingly. Bright, gleaming stones were encrusted into the ground by my boots and marshy grass stuck up out of the earth. Beside me, a small pool of shining blue water stood still, unmoved by my sudden arrival. Why was I here, of all places?

"G." A flowery voice seamlessly slipped into my senses, as I turned my head to find the source. What I saw almost made me choke.

"Fr..Frisk? Is that you?" I whispered, afraid that if I spoke too loud she might disappear.

"Yes, it is me, G." She smiled sadly, clasping her hands in front of her. No words came to mind as I continued to stare, desiring to know if it was truly her. And it was. It was the same Frisk, ripped striped top, brown hair, silver locket..

"We haven't got much time, so you need to listen," She began, taking a step forward whilst I stood frozen in shock.

"But.. you're alive.. after Chara and what I.. did.." I stressed, feeling pressure build up behind my eye sockets.

"I'm not alive in body, only partially in soul. But that is not important right now."

"Not important? Frisk, I.. I'm so sorry for what happened. You didn't deserve that." I rambled rubbing my forehead in frustration.

"G, listen to me," Frisk suddenly spoke, demanding my attention, "What has happened has happened. Nothing can change that, but you can change something to protect your future."

"What do you mean?" I questioned, even though I had an irking feeling that she was talking about-

"Chara." Yep.

"Right now, Y/n and Chara are battling. However, the barrier between your world and the Void is thinning dramatically, and it's only a matter of time before... before.."

"Before what, Frisk?" The name sounded so foreign on my *metaphorical* tongue.

"Before it is destroyed completely. And then, if that happens, Earth may very well be destroyed as the Void seeps into it." Absorbing the new information, I stood baffled, trying to comprehend what was at stake. There was a lot, if you hadn't realized by now.

"You must escape G, you must defeat Chara with Y/n for only you two together can." Frisk stressed, urgency seeping into her words immediately.

"I will. But.. what about you? If we destroy Chara-"

"-When." Frisk interrupted, a small smile on her face.

"When we destroy Chara, won't you too be erased?" The question hung in the suddenly cold air, and somehow I already knew the answer.

"That doesn't matter, G. Now you must go, it is already nightfall for your world." Frisk warned, turning on her heel. I sighed, beginning to feel myself fall back into the real world.

"G?"

"Yes?" I spoke, black spots invading my vision.

"I never lost your locket. And I never stopped... loving.....you...." Frisk's voice faded and faltered along with Waterfall as I felt myself disappear from that place, returning quickly to the cell once again, despondency as my only company.

----8--235---------9-66101-------------8101---9------------------