42. But Time Let Us Down

The world around me was a blur as I zipped between soldier after soldier, taking each one out as fast as they came. War cries echoed over their bobbing heads as the two front lines met, a mesh of dark uniforms and colourful skin and fur, and my vision blurred with the vibrant colours of my very soul. I could feel it within me when I threw shards of magic at a soldier who had his gun pointed high, I could feel it when I kicked the air and a pulse of magic bounced off my leg, pushing three men over and sending them sprawling.

But I couldn't just feel my own- I could feel every single soul on that battlefield as I continued to punch and swipe, the invisible strings that connected us twanging with each moment that passed.

I landed on the dusty cobble with a heavy thump, the aura of my magic fading slightly as I peered around. To my left: Asgore was taking on a group of soldiers with envious ease, his red three-pronged spear glinting powerfully as it clawed at the men, chasing down their morale. To my right: G was ducking and rolling between soldiers, his furious amber bones racing after any soldier that dared retreat. Ahead of me: Undyne, in all her rage-filled glory, surrounded by glaring blue spots that revealed hiding spears that toppled over the humans. Of course, in between the three were our own monster fighters, battling with enviable courage and the determination to see it through.

I was decided now, there was no room to think otherwise- I was fighting for the monsters because they were a part of me now, a part of my life. These humans? I didn't even want to call myself part of their race, but I knew that I always would because if there was anything I would remember from my mother, it was this lesson- that no singular person could represent something as large as an entire race, that judgement could not be passed for the actions of one upon thousands. That was where the humans went wrong. But they had made their decision, they had come to us, and so I couldn't let myself feel guilty. Not now, not when I had to concentrate-

"Look out!" a monster shouted behind me and my head jerked back, eyes wide. I ducked before the fist could meet my head and speedily conjured up a dagger, driving it forward. However, I knew that it had not met flesh but rather metal by the slicing sound that curled into my ears. I looked up, brows knitted and chest rising and falling quickly, meeting the dark eyes of a soldier that I didn't know, but by the way he was staring at me...

"You traitorous bitch!" he yelled, pushing off my dagger with his own knife and sending it towards me, the veins in his arm protruding with the strength behind his attacks. My breath caught in my throat but I steeled myself, dodging his swipes and flipping the dagger in my right hand. Quickly I jumped into the air with purple spots of magic aiding my ascent, rounding on the soldier and landing on his shoulders, grappling with his thick arms. As they flew about, trying to yank me off, I drove the dagger into his shoulder between the layers of his armour, grimacing as he howled in pain.

Suddenly his hand found my arm, his iron grip ripping me off his shoulders and sending me down to the ground, hard. I gasped, a choke escaping my lips when I hit the cobble, feeling pain splice across my body like a rush of water poured over me. The soldier continued to wail as I slowly glanced up, my head thumping. He reached over his shoulder and gripped the dagger, yanking it out with another growl of pain, and my eyes widened when his murderous glare found my own. It was as if he knew me, as if he had some sort of personal vendetta against me. How could that be, when we had never even met?

"You killed my friends back at the hospital, you remember that?" he breathed raggedly, passing the dagger between his bloody hands. "You and your 'magic', you swine. You're not special like they said you were, you're just a freak!" he screamed, leaping on top of me. I felt my lungs cry out as he squeezed them with his thighs, his hand finding my face and pinning it down, his other hand raising the dagger higher and higher until-