6. Take My Pain

The afternoon was a grey haze, a dull fog over the city. Clouds of grey smoke spiralled out of my mouth, as I set my head back, feeling the waves of calm roll over me. It was a habit to, quite literally, burn through at least 2 packs of cigs a day, but it wasn't like I had lungs so-

"Smoking is bad for you!"

"I don't have lungs, doll."

"Oh yeah."

The memory struck me like a knife to the heart, as I clamped a hand over my mouth to stop myself from throwing up. My body convulsed, sliding down the alley wall. My thoughts were a whirlwind as the cigarette slid from my fingers and to the damp ground beneath me. I had the faint feeling of people watching, but they quickly passed by as I tugged at my hood for some cover, searching my pockets for my lighter. I cringed as I tasted bile on my tongue, but soon enough I found the metal lighter, and flicking it on, I lit yet another cig and soon enough it was in my mouth. Panicked drags settled to calm puffs of smoke, tendrils escaping my skull. My hands shook as I hastily shoved the packet and lighter back in my pocket, relieved that an episode like this didn't happen at home or anywhere more public.

The alley way was on the side of a semi busy road, leading to the main streets and the capital building. I needed a break from the usual places, so surveying passersby was proving to be interesting so far. So many monsters in the city depended on the safety of their walls, but that safety could so easily be taken away in an instant. Why Asgore wasn't doing more to combat the threat of the humans baffled me more and more each day. Let's face it, even I was doing something, a no good criminal, or a gangster, some kids would say. I squeezed my eyes shut, willing my vision to clear, hearing nothing but my breathing, finally steady and slow.

I suppose you could say I had some form of PTSD, but I couldn't care less about going to some doctor who would tell me what I already knew. I was messed up, but I dealt with it. My only friend was a pack a cigarettes, and mind you, it was the bestest friend I'd ever had. Contempt settled in my gut as I pondered on the prissy asses at the capital; they really thought they were doing something, sitting up there and talking about God knows what. Politics, probably. I didn't care for it. War was about the doing, not the saying; you achieved a lot more by actually putting your words into actions instead of just adding to them. I imagined Asgore and the Royal Guard had a long list of things to do, relating to the war, titled 'things we need to do but actually will never do'. I sniggered to myself before slowly standing, clamping a hand on the brick wall behind me for grip. Breathing a sigh of relief, I hitched up the hood on my head, and broke into a steady walk as citizens passed by on the stretching roads.

---§---

Whistling to myself, I strolled through the streets, watching as the crowds split like the red sea when I walked forward. I smiled to myself, enjoying the effect I had on people. It was so easy with an influence like mine- even first class citizens knew of me, and wanted to know nothing more. A monster stared at me in disgust as I passed, and I winked at her, making her scowl and speed walk in the opposite direction. I rolled my eyes, continuing to aimlessly meander down the street. Here it was more congested with the public, as this part of the city was closer to the capital building. Many shops were open with it reading only three o'clock on a clock nailed to a wall, and chatter sounded over the markets lining the road. Passing by some fruit stalls, I overheard a conversation by a brightly decorated one, selling apples, oranges, and the like. A child stood in front of it, barely taller than the desk itself. 

"Please can I have an apple, mister? I d-don't have enough money.." he mumbled, looking up at the seller.

"Beat it kid, you either have money or you don't." the seller scowled bitterly, folding his arms. I rolled my eyes, approaching the desk. I stopped by the kid and threw some gold coins on the table.

"Let the kid have the apple." I spoke, eyeing down the seller. His eyes widened, hurriedly collecting the money and passing the child an apple. I grinned back at him, looking down at the kid.

"Thank you mister!" he chirped, before running off joyfully. My eyes slid back to the seller who was regarding me suspiciously. I smirked, picking up another apple and taking a bite.

"Pleasure doin' business." I grinned, before swivelling on my heel and walking off, practically feeling the man's eyes on my back.

"Well well well, it seems the heartless gangster does have a soul." A voice sounded behind me, and turning again, I saw Undyne grinning back at me, decked out in a leather jacket, a blue tank top and jeans.

"Shove off, Undyne." I groaned, hanging my head.

"No, no, that was quite the 'act of kindness' ya did there, G." She teased, coming to walk beside me.

"What of it?" I retaliated, side eyeing her.

"Oh nothing, just didn't think you were still capable of stuff like that." she raised an eyebrow.

"I still have a soul, thanks." I sneered, taking another bite of the apple.

"Okay, okay. Wanna join me for a drink? You look pretty tense."

"What's with the surprisingly good mood, it's weird." I deadpanned, feeling eyes ogling us as we strolled by.

"Saw Alphys this morning, and that thing you did for the kid? That was really sweet, G." Undyne smiled in the corner of my eye.

"I don't do sweet. And I'll take you up on that offer, I need some alcohol in my system." I yawned whilst stretching.

"Muffet's?" Undyne offered, jabbing a thumb towards the very popular bar, cafe, and restaurant. I shrugged, although not very keen on probably seeing a lot of familiar faces.

"If we have to."

"Come on then, stony face." She called, already half-way through the door. I groaned, shoving my hood back before following her into the building.

----------8----5-------------------------------0------66---------------------