33. Renewed Bonds

Toriel gave me another lung-crushing hug before stepping back, patting my shoulder carefully as if I wasn't quite real. I blinked, once, twice, and a smile broke out on my face.

"It is wonderful to see you my child, it has been too long," Toriel spoke, her voice thick with emotion. I was still stunned, my mother's face cropping up in my mind as I took in her words, and so I simply nodded. Toriel's expression softened, scanning over my face as if looking for the cause of the problem. I didn't know why until I finally noticed a tear dripping onto my hand. A quiet gasp escaped my lips and I wiped my cheeks. Toriel laughed, patting my shoulder again and steering me deeper into the room, where the other monsters were watching diligently. Then, she glanced over her shoulder, looking hesitant until she made up her mind. "Do come in, G." She spoke softly, and I sensed G tense behind me. I could practically hear his face scrunching up in confusion. I reached out and his hand latched onto my own, and I tugged him along with me.

Around the table were sat some familiar faces, some unknown. My heart swelled at the sight of the ones I knew as Toriel guided G and I to a seat, and I picked out the faces of Alphys, Undyne, Papyrus- even Flowey was there. However, in the midst of my naive joy, it was not echoed as I come face to face with the stony expressions of my friends.

Silence filled the room.

"Shall we just cut to the chase?" A high-pitched, irritated voice piped up and my attention snapped to the bored looking face of Flowey, sitting directly across from me.

"I suppose we shall have to, but it would be wise to wait for Asgore." Toriel reasoned, nodding at the tiny grumbling flower. He rolled his eyes, and I fought the urge to laugh at his comical annoyance. Thankfully Asgore heard his cue as the double doors behind us opened, a large shadow falling over my seat.

"Thank you for waiting, everyone." Asgore's deep, no-nonsense voice rumbled through the room, as I vaguely remembered Papyrus telling me one time, that this King was 'a big fluffy pushover'. I had gotten that impression of him only a small number of times. "The citizens are not very satisfied, but I have held them off to commence this meeting. Y/n-" Asgore looked over to me and I straightened my back, ready to answer. I could do this, it wouldn't be hard. It shouldn't be hard. "-Would you be willing to tell us... everything?"

With a deep breath, I nodded. 

"Yes, yes I am."

And so I did.

I told them all everything, from the day I had collapsed in the furthest reaches of the forest only to be captured by Chara (this elicited a painful glance between Asgore, Toriel and Flowey, strangely), to the day G had found his way into the Void, joining me to finally put an end to Chara. By the time I had finished, the room was darker, the sunlight only glancing into the high arching throne room.

"Then we made our way back here." I eventually finished, my heart pounding slightly harder than usual, sweat on the back of my neck reminding me that I was so utterly drained. Sleep was looking nice now.

I had left no detail out, from the sickening torture to meeting Frisk in my consciousness's echo of Waterfall. At the mention of Frisk many were startled, and everyone recognised the name, to which I was not surprised. Half way into the talk Mettaton had even joined, obviously shocked to see me casually sitting there, but he said nothing, sliding into a seat with a less than quiet clang.

Silence filled the room, all the people at the table engrossed in their thoughts. Flowey, again, was the first to speak, which surprised me. We didn't even know each other that well, but here he was, beginning conversations. Something told me this wasn't like him by the quietly shocked expressions around the table.