31. Home?

As we got out of the deserted streets that surrounded the city, the noise of panicked voices and crackling fire grew louder and louder until we could see monsters quickly traversing the streets. Some were coated in ash, some with blood hiding between their fur or scales; either way, the horrific sights made my soul quake inside of me, with the strong premonition that something was terribly, terribly wrong. My eyes searched the landscape, pushing past the numerous plumes of smoke rising in the distance. The further out, the worse the damage, it seemed. 

No one seemed to notice us really, and I wasn't surprised. I saw no one I recognised in the streets, only mere acquaintances every now and then. We continued to jog down the dusty roads, desperately trying to ignore scenes of monsters weeping into their loved one's arms, others sitting despondent on doorsteps, their eyes vacant of hope and light. The eerie reminder of the day my life of running started was all around me, threatening to suffocate me and trap me along with these abandoned peoples. The sound of bombs echoed in my ears, and when my eyes searched wildly for them I realised it was merely my brain playing tricks on me. Images and flashbacks, a monochrome latticed array rose to the forefronts of my mind, the scene of my dead family before me. Tears pricked at the corners of my eyes, but I forged on, reaching behind me for G's hand. I felt his cold grip, and my nerves settled, if only slightly.

We passed a purple cafe with the brilliantly black sign that read 'Muffet's' above the canopy. It looked mostly untouched, save a cracked window in the front, most probably from a tremor or quake. G paused beside me, his bright eye-lights peering through the glass, flickering with curiosity. He forged towards the door, his left hand still in my own, and pushed it open revealing a spider monster that looked slightly familiar to me. She was dressed in purple clothing, matching the colour scheme of the cafe, and her black inquisitive eyes focused on us, the lowlight dancing in them like fireflies.

"Muffet? Are you alright?" G asked her, and she smiled, though half-heartedly.

"I see you succeeded." She spoke, dodging the question and glancing at me curiously. I suddenly felt self-conscious under her seeking gaze, remembering my shabby torn clothes. An eyesore, I was sure.

"Um, yeah." G confirmed, looking back at me with nostalgia in his eyes. It was as if he was looking at a photo frame, or an old friend, recalling memories that he would die before he gave up. Or maybe I was just over-analysing things- there was that. "What happened here?" He spoke again, his tone hardening. Sighing, I glanced behind me, regretting it immediately when a monster ran by, dust caking his claws.

"The humans attacked earlier today. Nobody was expecting it, and the Royal Guard was too busy looking for you and Marli to realise what was happening before it was too late." Muffet spoke slowly, her voice weary as her gaze dropped to the wooden planks beneath us.

"Wait, Marli escaped?" G questioned, stepping forward. I was at a loss- whoever this 'Marli' was, G obviously had some intense feelings towards her by the stony look on his face. I quirked a brow, diving into the conversation.

"Who's Marli?"

"Um," G scratched the back of his skull, looking uncomfortable, "A human, that I er, capturedandthensheescaped-" He mumbled the last few words, a yellow tint on his cheekbones. I didn't miss it, however.

"You WHAT?!" I exclaimed, turning to face G and removing my hand from his. I could see that he missed the contact immediately, and so did I, but that wasn't important at that very moment.

"Look, doll, I'll explain it later, okay? It's a damn long story.." G sighed, meeting my incredulous gaze with his tired one. And just like that, I softened.

"Yes, that is wise." Muffet spoke. I had almost forgotten she was in the room. "There are more pressing matters to deal with, dearies~" Muffet crossed two pairs of her arms whilst the other pair continued to scrub at the counter she was positioned behind. G and I sighed simultaneously, and my mind reluctantly bounced back to the situation right outside the door.