25. Never Alone

A gasp escaped me as I nearly staggered back.

'You're.. alive?'

'Ha, barely, but yes, I am'

His voice was like a whisper, and I was straining my mind to even hear him, but.. He was there! He was alive!

'I can't believe it.. How?'

'Well, a piece of my soul still remains with you. That is the short version. Now, you're struggling against Chara's ward, aren't you?'

I nearly scoffed aloud when I made sense of his words.

'That obvious? Yeah, I need your help.'

'Then I shall grant it.'

My brow bones shot upwards as I felt my very being transcending the air, until I popped back into the Void. I breathed deeply, calming myself, before I returned to my thoughts.

'Thanks... Dad. I couldn't have done it without you.' 

'Ha, no you couldn't have,'

I rolled my eyes- that's Gaster alright.

'Now go, you must defeat Chara at all costs,'

'I will. Well, I'll try.' I scratched the back of my neck uncomfortably as I felt the doubts creeping in.

'I know you can do it. Remember, her weakness is her solidarity.'

And with that riddle, I felt his presence slip away. As he fell away I very nearly stumbled, blinking away the black spots and breathing a sigh of relief when the lightheaded-ness disappeared.

Coming to my senses, I reached within my soul, searching for the other soul that I felt earlier. Y/n. Now I was unable to not feel it as it continued to flow with magic, almost sending out distress signals. That only worried me more.

With a new urgency and uncomfortable sense of fear, I crept around a shadowed corner, a strange light bouncing off of it- it surprised me after all that darkness that I was still experiencing.

Suddenly, a malevolent laughter sounded around the corner, and I was immediately infuriated by Chara's sickening, child-like voice. She was the reason I had to force myself to act natural around children; they always reminded me of her.

"So, Y/n, I hope you're enjoying the show," Chara giggled, and I nearly scoffed aloud. Instead, someone else did it for me.

"Oh you know I am, Chara." Y/n retaliated sarcastically, and it took everything within me to not jump out and grapple her to the ground. Lovingly, of course.

"I'm glad," Chara began, and I could practically feel Y/n's unease at the change of tone in Chara, "...Because we have another audience member!" She laughed maniacally. I knew I had been caught; Chara had probably sensed me teleporting through the Void, and so knew had been listening the whole time. Sighing, I calmed myself, and set upon my face an expression of stone.

This was it.

Straightening, I stepped around the corner, nearly choking when I saw Y/n, her complexion muddied and tired, her clothes bedraggled and torn, and a long, powerful-looking sword that gleamed and sparked in her hands. Still, she was breath-taking.

"Well well well, look who decided to show up, huh?" Chara mocked, her shrill voice echoing around the large room that we were in. She stood in a proud stance, her hands on her hips as she looked me up and down slowly. Even though she was good at hiding it, I could see that she had taken a beating, even if it wasn't as much as Y/n. Her eyes gleaming a bloody red just like her cheeks, she took a step to the side, throwing her arms out as if she was welcoming me in, "So glad you could join us!" Chara grinned evilly, "We gotta give a good entrance for the comedian." I stopped dead in my tracks, staring Chara down with so much boiling hatred I think she was surprised too. That damned nickname... My skull was slowly being swarmed with memories and flashbacks of my past and my other selves' experiences- something I had to endure many times before with the amount of dimensions this world held.