32. No Stranger To Me

G
-------8-----

I could physically feel my soul drop to my stomach when we eventually got through the doors (metaphorical stomach). I knew Y/n was confused about my initial reaction in seeing Asgore at the foot of the capital building, but if she knew I was basically a criminal, maybe she would understand.

I wasn't going to tell her that anytime soon, however.

The glass of the doors glinted in the afternoon sunlight behind us, and I took one last look at freedom before turning back to Asgore, who, safe to say, had an interesting mixture of emotions etched onto his features. For a good ten seconds his eyes swiveled between Y/n and I, and if he was surprised to see us, he was doing a good job at hiding it.

Silence stretched out between us three until Asgore finally moved, sighing heavily and casting his eyes to the grey floor beneath us. "I trust you understand what has happened?" His weary tone stilled me for a moment, before I got a grasp on his words. I rolled my eyes.

"No 'where have you been G-Sans'? No 'how come you haven't been around for the last four years Y/n'?" I questioned, anger laced into every word. Asgore seemed to know that I would say something along those lines as he remained calm and weary, a burdened expression on his face.

"There is much to discuss, I do understand this. And it is nice to see you back, Y/n." Asgore smiled at Y/n and she returned the gesture, though I could see the worry in her eyes. "There are many a pressing matter, so I suggest you both head to the meeting room where the others are. I must finish addressing my people." He finished, regarding us both with ancient eyes before stepping to the side and returning to the crowd waiting through the glass doors.

"Well that was..."

"Unexpected?" I finished, glancing at Y/n. The sense of annoyance was still bubbling beneath the surface. I took a deep breath, watching Asgore raise his hands as he spoke to the citizens. Y/n smiled at me gently, and I could almost hear my soul thudding in my 'ears'.

"Let's get up there." She spoke, walking towards the elevator. "To be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect from him. If the others are anything like him, then it'll be almost as if I never left." Y/n sighed, a hint of sadness edging her words.

"Everyone will be ecstatic to see you, doll." I reassured her, feeling satisfied when her face eased into her normal, relaxed smile.

"I do hope so."

-----8989------;------------

Y/n

-----8989-----;;------------

I was afraid.

I had no reason to be, sure, but the familiar feeling struck inside of me as we rode up the elevator, the iconic tunes of Mettaton's music slipping out of the speakers. Even though it wasn't biological, sometimes it felt as if these people were my family at the lack of my real one. To face rejection and retaliation could be one of my worst fears if it came from these people, especially if it came from people like G, Papyrus, and Toriel. Out of all of the 'group', I had found comfort in them especially. Alphys, Undyne, Mettaton, Flowey even- I wasn't as close to them obviously. Just thinking about Undyne sent a shiver down my spine.

On the way here, I thought about the adjustment period, settling back into normal life without having a demon child at my throat constantly. I knew nightmares would come for me soon, I could only stave them off at the moment.

The elevator doors opened with a flourish, and I raised an eyebrow at how the capital building was untouched compared to the outskirts of the city. I decided not to think about it, instead following G around the corner and down the corridor.

The wallpaper was a deep red, reaching up the walls to a white ceiling with detailing on the built-in pillars. The carpet was the same shade of red but with diamond shaped decoration. It looked exactly the same as the last time I was here- just before the humans attacked. Something was going on here, for I realised, history was repeating itself. And that struck a chord of fear inside of me like no other.

Nevertheless, I swallowed my nausea, forcing myself to place foot after foot on the matted carpet and continue down the corridors.

What would they say? How would they react? What had changed in four years?

Little did I know at the time, but a whole lot had.

Finally G and came to the door at the end of the corridor, which was now behind us, and the wooden double doors seemed to grimace at our arrival, staring down at us with judging eyes. G's hand found my own and I could feel his nerves standing beside my own. I met his eyes with a firm nod, turning back to the door. Slowly, agonisingly slowly, I gripped the brass doorknob and turned it, until it gave a unnerving tinny click. With a shallow breath, I pushed open the door.

What met me inside was... What I had been expecting, actually.

Fading sunlight shone through the stained glass windows high on the walls, giving off bright colours that seemed to dance with the immediate silence of the room. Just as before, the banners with the Monster's symbol hung on the walls, looking prouder than the monsters themselves actually felt, I supposed. The King and Queen's thrones sat at the end of the room after a small set of stairs, higher than the rest of the furnishings in the large room. Before that was the wide round table, with chairs placed at equi-distance around it. 

My eyes traveled quickly around the room, swallowing up the details. Around the table were sat a few monsters, some sitting together or apart, all looking glum or frustrated. My heart was racing inside of my chest, and I didn't realise I had an iron grip on G's hand until he squeezed my own, reminding me once again, that I wasn't alone.

The monsters didn't seem to have noticed our arrival, the looks in their eyes' that of a faraway, vacant one, and so G cleared his throat, the rough sound cutting through the suffocating silence at once.

And then, all eyes were on us.

Annoyed gazes, angry gazes, surprised gazes, unbelieving gazes- they were all there. I felt as if I was burning under the weight of their eyes, my own fixated on the hypnotic way G was stroking the back of my hand, as if it was the only thing that could save me.

A loud female cry rung out, and suddenly heavy footsteps were thumping across the floor, straight towards us. My head snapped up to see a blur of white, and within a matter of milli-seconds I was engulfed in a hug, or what felt like one (literally engulfed- I was picked up off the floor). Strong, warm arms were almost crushing my shoulders, but I could feel the urge to be gentle behind them, encouraging me to return the hug. I had an inkling of who they were.

Finally I was placed back down with a gentle plonk, faintly sensing G standing somewhere behind me, and I looked up to see the teary-eyed, tender expression of Toriel, the Queen of Monsters. My heart almost jumped, for the last time I had seen such an expression was when... was when...

"You're home." Toriel smiled, gripping my shoulders.

Then I finally figured it out-

She had looked like my mum, the day she had died.

—-x-x————————8989——6311————-x-x—-