13. Good Enough

A jolt went through me, as I suddenly awoke. Something was wrong, very wrong. I could feel it, not just physically, but soul-wise. However, something else was on my mind, something that I could hardly believe but decided that I somehow knew all this time:

Y/n.. was... alive. And by alive I mean not dead.

I knew inside that she had to be alive; my soul would have told me if she were dead. Overtime, the more time you spend with someone you love, you form a bond, a very special connection, a soul-bond. Those things aren't easy to get, especially between humans and monsters. Between two monsters, it's definitely easier to achieve, but a damn lot of work has to go into it if you want to get a one. Too much time away can damage it, but somehow, Y/n and I.. We still held the bond. I only knew this because of the powerful jolt of magic that just exploded through the air. An overwhelming amount of magic.

It was so strange, but so recognizable. However, I knew there was more to it than that. Another magic was at play, not just magic, but power. Evil power. And I knew that had to be chara.

The experience I had just then- it was indescribable, like a sick feeling churning in my bones. I saw them both, Y/n and Frisk. It made me dizzy just thinking about it, and the sickness was threatening to creep back up again. It was too much to comprehend, but even if I wanted to take just one metaphorical step forward I had to push back the feeling and continue on- these episodes couldn't go on forever.

Jumping out of my spiralling thoughts, I raised my head, taking in my surroundings. A dull throb washed over me, but I ignored it, slowly sitting up on stiff bones. Tall, brown and red trees sheltered the clearing that I had somehow landed in, after I was thrown from the void by presumably chara. A familiar chill ran through my bones as I took a breath in, recognising the mellow scent of Autumn. It felt painfully nostalgic; it was my favourite season after all. Yellow and orange leaves littered the dirt floor, and peering through the trees' cover I saw the white sky, a mist enveloping it. I sighed, scratching my mandible before standing, brushing off the dirt from my jeans. Quiet pops sounded as I stretched out, a heavy sense of despondency setting over me. I knew what chara was going to do next- be rid of Y/n, and I could feel the thickness of powerful magic in the air. Any monster could, maybe even a human if they had the capability to.

But I was losing hope. I had to get back to the void, get back to Y/n. It was the only thing I could do- Y/n was completely alone, save for Frisk, but her soul was being inhabited by chara's. I wasn't sure if I could still teleport to the void- for each time I had gone there it had been because I was summoned or taken. Only someone with strong magical abilities was able to summon another being to such an overwhelmingly colossal place like the void; the term 'void' wasn't exactly descriptive enough as it was- a lot of concentration and purpose had to go into it. People like Gaster and chara were easily able to do such things.

I was wasting time however. Patting down my pockets, I sighed in finding that the cigarettes were gone. Breathing slowly as to not invite another panic attack, I began to jog up the leafy banks at the sides of the clearing, slowly but surely recognising some of the nature around me. This place was only about a mile away from the city border- all that scouting did go to good use then, I mused to myself, touching the naked trees as I passed them. The cold, frost-coated bark underneath my bony fingertips felt familiar, and put my mind at ease, if only a little. 

As I neared the city, I was able to see the buildings in the distance, but coming closer to the high chain-link fence, I realised I was on the opposite side to the house.

"Just means more walking," I sighed, stopping to hitch myself over the fence. My soul was incredibly drained magic-wise, if you were wondering why I wasn't just simply teleporting back to the house.

Within a couple minutes, I was beginning to see more monsters traversing the streets, some walking by me without a second glance and others side-eyeing me. I couldn't blame them, I could never usually be found on the West side of the Capital, for only a couple reasons. One, I was rather territorial, so I damn well preferred to stay in my turf, and two-

"Well look who it is!"

That. That is reason number two.

"Sup, Ice." I spoke, leaving my voice without any hostile tone as the group neared me. It was made up of a few burly looking monsters, and at the head was Ice-Wolf, Ice for short. He was by far the biggest (friggin' ripped), obviously from his work in supplying the CORE with ice blocks (go figure, you see where he also got his name from?). We weren't enemies, but we weren't friends either.

"What you doin' round here, G? Girls gettin' too tiring in the East?" He grinned a wide toothy grin, his fangs on show for all to see. You didn't really want to get on his bad side.

"Nah, just decided to take a field trip." I replied lazily, stuffing my hands in my jeans.

"A field trip? Dude, you don't take those. I usually see ya in the club or at the bar, not takin' a stroll through the street!" He countered as his goons laughed in response. I however, was perfecting my 'I'm bored with you, get out of my way' face.

"Does it matter? I'm busy, get out of my face." I replied with a frown, stepping to the side of the posse.

"Man, don't be like that." Ice-wolf stepped in front of me, folding his arms. He was merely an inch taller than me, and I was one of the few people who was not afraid of him. Believe me, I had been in a fight with him before- he was more words than actions.

"Yeah dude, where's your chill?" Another monster piped up from the group.

"We'll see you tonight, at Ezzie's, right? Be there." Ice spoke, fist-bumping my shoulder casually, but I saw the thin layer of assive-aggressiveness behind it. Ezzie's was the popular club and bar near the city-center, run by a monster called Esmeralda, Ezzie for short. I didn't go there often, too rowdy for my liking, but the drink was good when I was in the mood for forgetting.

"We'll see, Ice." I replied, staring him down. Slowly, as if challenging me, he stepped to the side, and I continued to walk down the street, after glancing at the group one last time. Ice hooted a couple of times, strolling into a nearby bar as his friends shouted, running after him.

Rolling my eyes, I turned my attention to the shops lined by the side of the open roads, quickly and fortunately spotting a grocery store. They had to have a pack of cigs in here. It might not be the one I liked, but it was good enough.

-----67------------88-----9----66----0101------5----

I love writing this book, I really do, yanno? 

Thank goodness for Undertale, don't know what I would have done without it tbh.