26. Beyond What We See

For what seemed like hours we fought, G and I alternating between blasting Chara with his Gaster-Blasters and myself sparring with a the newly conjured sword in my hands. I wasn't exactly sure how I came about forming it, but I wasn't regretting it, not by a long shot. The mighty spear that Chara had donned out of nowhere a while ago was giving me uncomfortable flashbacks to Undyne's way of fighting, and the strange thing was... I had never seen her produce one, not that I could recall, and so I helplessly had to blame it on Frisk and how we were somehow sharing memories (or something along those lines). 

Unfortunately, I still had no idea about that whole mess, how it came to be that I remembered so much from another time, another experience that wasn't my own and at the same time, it was. The emotions, surges of power, recollection of faces and places... It baffled me, scared me, excited me how closely the paths of our fates ran; my own, G's and Frisk's. There was so much I didn't and couldn't understand, but right now was not the time to try to, as every second I was not far away from being sliced up by Chara's magic.

With each blow and strike we performed, I could feel Chara's own magic bouncing back with a stronger force, the very air about her reeking of megalomania. I didn't think she had it in her to give up, but neither did I.

For a few seconds we paused, fingers thrumming with magic and chests heaving with desperate need of oxygen. Down (if that was the correct direction) in the Void the air felt so much thinner, as if we were in space or deep underground, and even though I had been here for so damn long, I was not growing used to it. I longed to just see the real world outside of the Void, to return to what was familiar to me. However, if what G said was true about how long he had been searching, then I had been here for a much longer time than I initially assumed.

The hours and days of torture, stuck in the Void with the only company as the very monster before us (and sometimes Frisk, though it was rare), it had warped my concept of time as my only relief was passing out after jumps and flashbacks between very dimensions. It felt like only yesterday that I escaped that hospital. What happened after that, I wasn't so sure. Thinking back on it as I panted heavily next to G, I could only really recall the snow, trees, and then darkness followed by falling. Lots of falling. Truth be told, I despised how I couldn't remember certain things; heck, the name of my hometown was leaving me now. Chara had pinpointed my fears and played with them in a manner only known as sadism, and I suffered because of it.

"Chara! This cannot go on forever!" G yelled in anger, balling his fists defiantly and bringing me back to the present. I knew he was tired, but I also knew he wasn't going to give up, no matter the cause.

"Hm," Chara hummed, a nonchalant look on her face. "I suppose you're right." She agreed after a moment, and I had to blink hard to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.

"Did you just... agree, with me?" G questioned incredulously, his hands loosening and dropping ever so slightly. A nagging feeling of dread jabbed me in my mind as I watched the exchange. Casually, Chara got rid of her javelin-esque spear, sparks of metallic red flying about the air that it disappeared from, and flicked a finger, a knowing smirk on her bloodied face. Suddenly, a modest in size knife dropped in her hands, shining with a ferocious violence that sent a shiver down my spine. The knife thrummed with magic, so much so I felt my gaze fixated on it, not relenting for a few seconds.

"I did." Chara replied simply, turning the knife in her hands, and a heart-wrenching fear broke out in me like water past a crumbling dam as she raised it, pointing it with malice. "The spear was a bit too.. seeking for a righteous cause, don't you think?" She spoke, drawing closer, stroking the blade of the knife that emitted a dark red energy continuously.

"Justice." I murmured, remembering my friend-who-wasn't-a-friend, who it seemed Chara was so distastefully mocking in her choice of weaponry (If you didn't get it earlier, understand it now- Undyne).