20. Weather Me Down

Sunlight began to slowly filter in past the iron bars as I stared up at the ceiling, thoughts of what happened last night still on my mind.

After all this time.. Frisk. She was still alive?

No not alive, my mind reminded me, barely there really.

Sighing, I rolled over, watching as the shadows began to peel away at the touch of the warm rays cascading down from the sky. The past few days had been cloudy, much like my thoughts, so at the sight of the sun my spirits were raised slightly. Yet, still dampened by the memory of all that Frisk had said. Chara, Y/n, the Void- if I wanted to do anything to prevent that foul place from infecting my world, then today had to be the day.

I scoffed, realising my thoughts sounded so cliché. If anything was cliché, it was that damn flower, and I laughed aloud at the thought of Flowey's tiny scowling face. Even though it was hard to believe, under all that bitterness there truly was a soft hearted monster, trapped by his own soul.

It was an interesting thing to think about, the true nature and power of souls. If anyone knew anything at all about them, that person would be Alphys. 

As soon as I thought about her, my mind went to Undyne, and my soul felt heavy with shame as I remembered her confused face at the sight of Marli recognising me. I never explained to her why I left for three days. What would it matter now? If I was even able to get out of the cell, and then get to the Void somehow, and then defeat Chara, they would all have to know. Even Asgore.

I expected I would be exiled for doing such things; escaping prison, capturing a human and keeping them without anyone knowing- the list went on.

I rolled my eyes at my feeble thoughts. Getting caught would be the least of my problems if Frisk wasn't lying, and somehow I knew she wasn't. I could feel the magical pressure in the air, particles of it floating in through the window- any monster would be lying if they didn't feel that something was wrong. I supposed most would just write it off as being under the weather, but at least boss monsters could sense the magical quality of the atmosphere, if it felt any different to what was normal, to what was safe.

Monsters were interesting like that. My knowledge didn't go as far as the magical abilities of humans; for all I knew, they all contained some sort of hidden power, and I wouldn't be surprised if that were case because we had lost the Great War to them. However, I knew that Y/n's soul was special, one of a kind, something you don't come upon everyday.

Four years. Four damn years. Despite the heavy morose feeling that had settled on my soul all those years ago, there was a new sense of hope, and that was all I was holding onto. And also Papyrus. Where is that guy?

Just as I was deciding on whether to fall back asleep or not, quick, important sounding footsteps echoed from down the corridor, forcing me to open my eyelids again and sit up. As I realised who was coming I immediately swung my legs over the side of the bench and came face to face with Papyrus, unsurprisingly. A lazy grin found its way onto my face, and just as I was about to slip out a witty remark about how late he was, Papyrus was already speaking.

"We do not have time Sans, so this will have to be quick. I'm going to remove your magic bonds and you will leave through the door a corridor away from here," He spoke quickly, pointing a hand down the hall, "And I will leave via a different exit, making my way back to the entrance to greet the King and Queen. I expect you to disappear, understand?" 

"You come up with that last night?" I quirked a brow-bone without being totally serious, folding my arms over my chest. Papyrus guffawed and rolled his eyes, "I expect you to disappear, got it?" He enunciated the last few words and I chuckled teasingly, enjoying my big brother status over him.

"Yeah yeah, I'll get gone, 'aight?" With a swift nod from Papyrus, I sighed, stepping back from the bars, "Well get in here then." He made a face of displeasure before raising his hand, a bright orange hue encircling his fingers. Suddenly, bones materialised in the air directly in front of him, the same orange coating them. It was very much different to my amber coloured magic, but once, I knew it used to be blue. I also knew that whenever I used my newly-coloured magic, Papyrus grew strangely uncomfortable, though he did his best to hide it. But I saw right through it- to me, he was transparent. I always saw the faint nostalgia written across his face, as if he was reliving memories back when I was not me, or rather, what I was today. When I was just Sans, with no extra toppings.

Shaking away the thoughts, I directed my attention back to what was happening in front of me. What use is there in worrying about things you can't change anyway?

By a quick flick of his hand, the bones zipped forward and blew the door off of its hinges-quite literally. A loud crash sounded, making me flinch momentarily, but then it was over.

Not yet, my thoughts sounded as I glanced down at my hands, sensing the infuriating inability to perform any magic.

"Hold out your hands." Papyrus directed and I complied, not willing to spare the energy to be irritating.

Papyrus raised his right hand again, and this time a stronger coloured magic glowed on his fingers, suddenly encasing my hands and swallowing them whole. A heavy, slightly painful pressure built up in my skull, but as soon as it came, it disappeared. Cracking open my eyelids, I saw Papyrus staring at me worriedly, however when I relaxed he returned to his normal superiority-complex demeanour, scowling at me furiously. I wondered if that much frowning would eventually crack his skull, but alas, I had more important things to worry about. Like leaving, now.

"There, that should do it. Now leave, before they arrive!" Papyrus hissed, pulling me out of the cell and shoving me down the corridor. I rolled my eyes, and made to turn the corner when I paused, turning back.

"Hey, erm.." I began, scratching the back of my head as Papyrus waited impatiently, annoyance embedded into his bones by the looks of it. "Thanks, Papyrus. I dunno if I'll ever... see ya again, so.." Papyrus suddenly was taken aback as I continued, "Thanks for, er, this and everything else." I finished quickly, though inside I was cringing at my lame attempt at a thanks. My brother rolled his eyes, sighed in deep irritation and stalked towards me with gargantuan strides.

Suddenly, something I never thought would happen again occurred. When he had caught up to me (which wasn't a large distance with his height), he threw his arms around me and pulled me into a hug. I was struck speechless before some sense kicked in and I reluctantly returned the favour. 

"Be safe. And don't do anything I would not do." Papyrus nodded firmly before coughing, obviously embarrassed. A huge grin made its way onto my face and I nodded back, before swivelling on my heels and turning the corner.

Well, that's new.

—————-8-54—-21——01099—666————————

Hey guys, sorry for a late update! I've got exams coming up and stress is piling up like cra-zyyy..

Hope y'all enjoy!