9. We Were Born Sick

Autumn

The human mind was truly the scariest thing of all. This was something I had realized along my journey.

Laughter arose from a dimly lit camp, in a small valley ahead of me. It was encased with bushes and towering trees, but it was hardly an effort to find. I looked down at the group of humans lazily sitting around a lit fire, smiling and exchanging stories, it seemed. A part of me wanted to leave them to their happy conversations, but another part of me knew to look past the facade and notice the clipboards by their sides, the guns in their tents, the mission on their minds.

You might be wondering why I enjoyed the sport of killing so much, especially on humans. Well, all you would need to answer that question was a little bit of context.

We were in a war, not just politically and on terms of race, but it was a personal war. Asgore didn't agree with this way of tackling the humans, but I knew it was better than anything they had in mind. Here, they were in the wrong, and I was to judge them- that was my job. Somewhere along the line, I forgot what that was; I got... distracted

Closing my eyes, I cleared my mind, pushing down the churning feeling in my 'stomach'. The humans had to be dealt with, before something more happened, something like the repetition of the past. I refused to let it happen again.

Slowly, I trudged down the hillside, the shadows of the trees hiding my figure. A branch snapped beneath my foot, and the group stilled, suddenly looking around warily. I growled in annoyance, stepping into plain sight. Surprise took them for a second, but immediately they recuperated, snatching up the guns they had placed within reaching distance. Paranoia.

"What do you want?" A man spoke up, standing forward with his pistol pointed right at me. I stared them down passively, watching their every move and behaviours compared to their partner's. Their faces were like steel, however, I could tell I was unnerving them as I continued to examine each and everyone of them. The cock of a gun brought me back to the task at hand.

"I will shoot!" the human shouted, stepping forward carefully, crushing brown leaves beneath his feet.

"It's a beautiful day today," I sighed, sliding my hands into my pocket. Confusion rippled throughout the groups as their stance wavered slightly. The man at the front started to speak again before I placed a hand up. "Birds are singin', flowers are bloomin'," I spoke, glancing down at the forest floor where purple magentas sprang from the ground, before I crushed them underfoot. Fear played on their expressions as I stepped forward, their eyes wavering on the flowers, now flattened without remorse.

"On days like this, scumbags like you... should be dead already." I hissed, conjuring a bone in mid-air. I flicked my hand and smirked as two of the group crumpled to the ground. Only two left, a female and that first male who had the audacity to threaten me. Amber magic encased my hand and it swallowed the gun in the woman's hand, throwing it off to the side. The man looked back in shock at the woman (who now looked terrified), and then snapped his attention back to me, pulling the trigger. An empty tick sounded from the gun. A laugh escaped my mouth as I watched the man shake his gun in horror. The bullets were splayed out over the leaves on the ground, glinting in the afternoon sunlight. He made a move to try and collect them, as if I wasn't anticipating that.

"Don't even think about it, David." His expression morphed into one of confusion.

"How did you-" He attempted weakly, his hands quivering by his side.

"Clipboard." I interrupted, raising my hand and gesturing towards the woman, capturing her throat in a vice grip. Immediately she began to struggle against the amber magic surrounding her throat, choking as I lifted her into the air.

"Four years ago, you attacked the Monster Capital, yes or no?" I began, stepping closer to David who was staring horrified at his suffocating partner.

"W-what-"

"Yes or No." I repeated, gritting my teeth as my left eye erupted with magic swirling around the white pupil. The human turned white as a sheet, sweat forming on his forehead.

"Y-yes." He squeaked, my shadow falling over his figure.

"You took a human, didn't you?"

"I-I'm not f-front line, I d-don't-"

"Do you think I'm fucking thick, David? Your title expresses something along the lines of 'front line', doesn't it?" I snarled, tightening my grip on the woman as she continued to thrash helplessly.

"Okay, okay! W-we did, b-but-" He faltered.

"But what, David?" I growled, fisting his shirt in my hand.

"S-she escaped, she left!" He shrieked, trying to push my hand off of him.

"Where to, pig?"

"I don't know! I don't know, please don't kill her!" He cried out, covering his pale face with his hands, his black hair stuck to his forehead by sweat. I diverted my attention to the woman who looked close to death, herself. Suddenly, David struck me in the side with his gun, making me drop the both of them as I doubled over. Groaning, I rose groggily, inwardly slapping myself for being distracted.

David was pulling the woman from the ground, speaking hurriedly into a walkie-talkie. I was having none of that. Growling, I snatched the reciever from his hand and snapped the antennae, throwing it over my shoulder.  I pulled him up from the ground and punched him square in the face, knocking him out cold.

"I'll shoot, get away from him!" I glanced up from the human's crumpled form on the ground to see the woman pointing a gun at me. Fury was on her face as her chest heaved painfully.

"Nah, you won't." I grinned, flicking the gun out of her hands with my magic and smacking her temple with it. Immediately she was out cold. Not dead, but unconscious. I groaned, rubbing the quickly forming bruise on my rib.

"Pistol whip." I muttered to myself, looking down my nose at the unconscious woman on the floor. Flicking a finger, she was swallowed in amber magic, and with one more glance around the camp, I picked up a clipboard and then teleported back to the house, half-dead human in tow, and a heavy soul on mind.

I was born sick, but I wouldn't say that I completely hated it.

-----------------8-----------------3235-----------------0101--------6--9----