36. My Heart Is In Your Hands

The sky was a brilliant cerulean, the aftermath of the night's rain still evident on the buildings' roofs. Hand in hand, G and I walked down the road, a comfortable silence having settled between us.

The fresh air greeted me like the brush of a hand on my cheek, the slight chill like the prick of a needle. It nearly brought me to tears to just breathe in some fresh air after choking on dank, clammy fog for what had seemed like an eternity.

G squeezed my hand, a simple but cherished reminder that he was here, that I was here. "You okay?" came his gentle voice. I smiled, my heart warming inside of me. I glanced up at him.

"Just glad I'm here." G nodded, pulling up our linked hands and kissing mine tenderly, whilst a thousand butterflies erupted in my stomach, my cheeks tinted pink not just from the warmth of the sun.

Monsters passed us by every now and then, either ignoring us completely or glancing at us with apprehension in their eyes. It will get better, my mind whispered. I hope so, my heart whispered back.

The sun, high in the sky, sent rays down on our backs, the skin on the back of my neck prickling when a breeze fluttered by, taking ashes and dust with it. My hair was tied in a ponytail and fresh clothes adorned my body, though I wasn't sure how G was able to get women's clothes that fit me perfectly. Something told me they might've belonged to Undyne, but I didn't think too much into it.

Quiet chatter arose as we made our way further into the city. Here monsters had begun to take action, setting up first-aid and food booths for those most affected by the onslaught of the humans. It made me angry, it enraged me to think about all that they had done- my own race. I longed for peace, for the ability to come to some sort of agreement, but logic was telling me that now, that wouldn't be possible. We had come too far.

I cast the thought away. If not all the way out there, here I could make a difference.

I glanced around, tearing my eyes away from the staring monsters. Seeing an elderly woman struggling to tie a bandage around a younger monster's arm, I strode over, placing a hand on her shoulder. She glanced back in surprise, and I smiled.

Her skin was smooth and a cool purple, and all twelve of her fingers were gnarled, shaking from the attempt to attend to her friend. The monster's eyes were round and yellow, obviously startled and slightly afraid at an human interacting with her.

"Would you like some help?" I asked, stooping down to her level. She looked taken aback and the monster beside her froze, sharing hesitant glances with another monster beside her.

"If you can, yes," The monster spoke slowly, her voice soft and trembling. I smiled again when she offered the bandage roll, and I got to work. I took the injured monster's clawed hand, frowning at the burns that were scattered on her similarly purple skin. She winced when I wrapped it tightly but did not recoil, much to my joy. A small monster hovered beside her, feathery wings flapping slightly as they watched on. When I finished, patting her arm gently, I stood up.

"That should do for now," I spoke, helping her up. The monster looked down at her freshly bandaged arm, a small smile gracing her features. She glanced up at me with all four yellow eyes, crinkled by the happiness that seemed to bounce off of her.

"Thank you..?"

"Y/n," I finished with a quick nod.

"Thank you Y/n. We won't forget your help," the monster grinned, gesturing to her apparent family around her who had the same coloured skin and glowing yellow eyes. I smiled at all of them, feeling my soul beam when they returned the favour.