45. Eyes Of Stone

The sun was cold.

The trees' leaves had fallen.

The people's smiles were grey, detached. Hard.

Their eyes of stone matched that of the blood-stained ground beneath them. 

Cold. Fallen. Grey. Hard.

They had done it.

But at what cost?

G's eyes were unfocused, dim glass balls that had stopped shining after the fifth or sixth bottle.

So far removed, he couldn't even hear the bottle smash when it slipped from his numb fingers. The feeling had left them soon enough.

Downstairs, the house was silent, no monster residing there after G had kicked them all out. Grillby stayed though, despite his screams. He wouldn't leave so easily, not like the others when the first glass was thrown.

He sighed. How had it come to this? Picking up another glass, he wiped it clean as the hot white almond shapes of his eyes surveyed the room. It was a mess. Something like the noise of a fire spitting sparks left his mouth as he glanced at the broken chairs and tables. More replacements were needed, but when that would be possible, he didn't know. Not now, and not for a while he guessed.

They had done it.

But at what cost?

Everything, Grillby thought to himself.

He remembered when the missile went off; the sound could be heard even from the bunker beneath the Capital Building. The monsters eyes around him went wide, a baby started crying, and Grillby felt his soul quiver with fear. But he believed in his friends, he knew they would prevail. And they did. But why did it feel like they hadn't?

Another crash from upstairs told Grillby that G was not okay. He wasn't surprised. He still had flashbacks and jarring thoughts from the Great War before the monsters were forced to flee to the Underground, but that was years ago. Now, the city had new trauma to deal with. 

The citizens had been told to find shelter in the Capital Building if their homes had been destroyed, or if their homes weren't damaged at all they could go. Most had been refused when they tried to return home or salvage their belongings from the dangerous areas- it simply wasn't safe yet. Grillby was lucky that his residence or area hadn't been touched by the humans, that he could go home and try to find some sense of normalcy in the aftermath of the chaos.

Sighing, he stopped. Glancing out the window he marvelled at the Winter sun that flooded into the room, dappling the cobble outside in liquid gold. 

He had to keep his hope that the city would recover, that they would be able to move on from such a blow. He had to.

-------x---xx---------

"Alphys!" Undyne yelled, running up the steps four at a time. The yellow dinosaur-like monster jumped, looking desperately for her lover's voice. Finally, she spotted her- it was hard not too with her radiant ruby hair flowing out behind her.

"U-Undyne!" She yelped as Undyne scooped her up into her arms. They laughed together as Undyne whirled her around, only setting her down after a few seconds. "Y-You're hurt!" Alphys exclaimed, and she wasn't wrong. Undyne gazed down at her, a huge grin on her face despite the bruises and burns that littered and scarred her electric blue skin. She had left the medical attendance line when she realised all the monsters had started leaving the bunker. It wasn't particularly safe just yet, but they knew all the humans had gone. No one could hold G back or any of the monsters after Y/n... after Y/n...