3. It Never Truly Fades

I woke with a start, feeling cold like ice settle over my body. I was shaking from a less than peaceful night, and from one touch to my cheeks I felt wet tears still slowly dripping from my eye sockets. It was interesting how physical aspects of emotions like crying could still happen to monsters, but I wasn't exactly in the mood to look into it.

Sighing quietly, I swung my legs over the side of the couch and stood, hearing my bones pop and stretch out. From one glance outside, it was easy to see that it was still early. The sky was a clear grey, signalling that it would soon open up and rain would start pouring down, as per usual. Tearing my eyes away from the view outside the window, I smoothed down my clothes and exited the room, sliding a cigarette out of the packet in my pocket.

Downstairs, it was quiet. Usually monsters would camp out here with no where else to go, but Grillby and Matthias were the only two with actual rooms, besides myself. As I poked my head inside the bar, I spotted a few knocked out patrons, still at tables after a heavy night of drinking. It was the same as always: rowdy and bothersome in the evening when everyone was getting drunk or high, and then a calm quiet the morning after. It was only about eight in the morning, so they would probably leave at around noon, if they woke up. No one ever wanted to deal with me, so they packed up pretty quickly.

Everyone respected me, they knew what buttons to press around me; God help the person that didn't.

I slipped out of the door, lit cigarette in my mouth and jacket already around my shoulders. Left down the street led to the capital, where no doubt monsters were beginning to start their day, and right led to the forest. Zipping up my jacket as a chilly breeze flew through me, I swiveled on my heels and began a slow walk towards the shadowy, sky-scraper tall trees.

-----------

"Where the hell is he?!"

"I-I don't know! He doesn't tell us where he goes!!"

As I came to halt in front of the door, muffled voices made their way out through the cracks, just audible enough for me to hear and make out who owned them.

Rolling my eyes, I kicked open the wooden door to see Matthias and Undyne, or rather, Matthias cowering in fear under Undyne's tall form.

"The hell's this, Undyne?" I growled, lifting Matthias by his shirt and pushing him away, all whilst never breaking eye-contact with Undyne.

"Asgore wants to see you. Now." She retaliated, balling her fists.

"Why? And no, I'm not seeing that jackass." I said, folding my arms and staring down at her.

"You've been taking matters into your own hands again, so Asgore will see whether you like it or not." Undyne growled, a blue spear materializing in her right hand. The tip didn't reach my height so it was hardly impressive, but then again, I did just expend a hefty amount of magic on another group of imbeciles on the west side of the city, so, could I be bothered to fight Undyne right now? No. She was definitely not as powerful as me, but her magical ability was still commendable.

"Geez, you royal guards and your need for violence," I rolled my eyes, already retrieving my cigarette packet from my jacket, "Fine, I'll go see the 'big-shot'." Undyne said nothing as the spear disappeared from her hand.

"Take us there." I rolled my eyes as she clamped her hand on my shoulder, the ever present frown on her face deepening as she watched me slowly light a cigarette before placing it in my mouth. I took a long drag and breathed out a large cloud of smoke in her face, watching her face scrunch up in disgust.

"Let's go then." I smirked, zapping out of the building and catching her by surprise.

----

The same, dreary building sat before us as we materialized only a second after teleporting. Nostalgia began to rise within me, but I quickly shoved it back down as I remembered why exactly I was here. Undyne was already up the steps and halfway through the door, so I slowly followed her, not in any rush to see a few people I dearly hated. Once through the door, I continued to take calming drags, ignoring the displeased glares from the monster behind the front desk. A new employee, I noticed.

Undyne stood in the elevator, holding it open and tapping her foot impatiently. I smirked, taking my time to step inside. One of Mettaton's less popular songs filtered through the speakers, turning my cockiness into distaste. Scowling, I felt smoke blow out from the gaps in my skull- a vanilla/toffee smell. Everyone I met frowned upon the smoking, but for me, it wasn't just a coping mechanism or a fun way to pass the time, but an entertainment, watching bystanders look upon me in disgust. They didn't do anything about it, which I found hilarious. If they hated it that much, then why didn't they say something? Not that I would stop, anyway. The only result they would get from complaining would either be 1, a steely glare or a threat, or 2, a face down in the dirt/concrete- I wasn't picky.

Finally, the elevator doors opened with a mechanical whoosh, and Undyne marched out, not even looking to see if I was following. Was it even that big of a deal? Not that I gave a crap about their 'political tactics in the face of war', or whatever.

Rounding the corner, I watched as Undyne came to a halt in front of a door, and from experience, it was the door that led to the throne room, if I was correct.

"Get your ass in there." Undyne ordered, holding the door open.

Saying nothing, I only chuckled, stepping inside the room, but not before blowing a satisfying cloud of smoke in her blue face.

"See ya later, dyney." I chuckled lowly, giving her one final look before she closed the door.

Turning my head to look around the room, I noticed that it was empty. She probably wanted me to wait for them to arrive, the selfish asses.

That was fine, I could wait.

-----------------8--------------------23----------------4-------------5---------------