~27~

Olivia's POV

I woke up early the next morning because Elliot was snoring. I climbed out of bed and showered, before going to check on the kids.

Hanna and Gus were still sleeping, and then I walked towards Jayden's room. I knocked lightly.

"Come in." She spoke quietly. I opened it slowly and smiled at her.

"How did you sleep, Jayden?" I asked, and she finished making her bed.

"Good, Mrs. Stabler." She replied, and I smiled gently.

"Call me Liv, please. I feel old if you call me Mrs. Stabler." I chuckled, and she nodded. She started to slip her shoes on again, and I smiled as I walked over to the closet.

"Nina told us about your clothes and shoes sizes." I spoke, and she looked at me with confusion.

"I have clothes." She replied, and I nodded.

"I know, but having some more might be nice. Also, there is a toothbrush, hair brush, and some other items in the bathroom if you need them." I smiled. I started to leave, and as I was about to shut the door, she spoke.

"I don't like my foster parents. I'm used to not being with them for long, so don't expect me to like you. I'll be polite, and help out if you want me to, but I won't get my hopes up." She spoke, and just that little statement broke my heart.

"Alright." I whispered.

I left the room and slowly ran my fingers through my hair as tears welled in my eyes.

I was going to make it my mission to make her feel better about this. 

---

I made breakfast for the kids, and Hanna and Gus ran into the room, their excitement causing me to get a headache, but I have to admit that it was adorable.

Shortly after, Elliot came down, and Jayden followed slowly behind.

"Who are you?" Gus giggled, as he climbed onto his chair.

"Who are you?" Jayden replied, slightly annoyed.

"I'm Gus! This is my sister Hanna!" He exclaimed, and I felt my heart flutter. I would never get used to them being siblings. It is still amazing.

"Well, I'm Jayden." She spoke, before walking over to sit at the table. Elliot came over and stood next to me.

"So, did she sleep well?" Elliot asked, as I cut up Gus' pancakes.

"I think. She is kinda distant."

"I would be too." He replied, and I nodded slowly.

"We need to try and get her to open up. She might be here for awhile, as long as nothing happens."

"Yeah, hopefully. She needs a stable home, even if it is only for a few weeks." He smiled, before kissing me. I nodded and carried the two plates of pancakes over to the table. I sat them down in front of Gus and Hanna, before walking over to Jayden.

"Do you want some pancakes and bacon? I can get it ready for you." I smiled, and she shook her head.

"I'm 10. I'm not a little kid. I can do it myself." She replied, and I let out a small sigh before pointing to the food. I walked over and grabbed some milk from the fridge, and poured it into the kids' cups. Then I sat down and started to eat with Elliot. 

Jayden sat and awkwardly cut her pancakes, and ended up just making a pancake taco, with her bacon inside. Gus thought that was funny, and giggled about it.

"What are you giggling about?" Jayden spat, and Gus stopped right away, and looked down.

"Okay, I know you might not be happy about staying here, but they are only 6." Elliot spoke quietly, and Jayden slammed her food down and ran back to her room. I frowned deeply and sighed.

"Great. I groaned before looking down.

---

Elliot's POV

I finished eating and sent the kids to the park with Liv, before going to check on Jayden. I hated myself for making her angry, but she didn't need to be so harsh on Gus.

"Jayden, can I come in?" I asked, and she sniffled.

"Go away." She cried, and I walked in. I kept the door open, and stood near it.

"Jayden, we need to talk."

"No. Leave."

"Jayden, I know it must be hard, moving from foster home to foster home, but we are different."

"Every family says that!" She spat, and I frowned.

"I mean it. We are really different."

"How is that?" She asked, angrily.

"We are detectives. Well, my wife is a Lieutenant. We have worked years to get people the justice that they deserve. We will be different. We are different. God, we are the most different, weird, dysfunctional family out there." I laughed, and she eyed me.

"I doubt that." She replied, and I shook my head.

"Go ahead and doubt it, but you'll figure it out that I'm right." I smiled.

She shrugged and pulled a pillow to her chest.

"Are both of those kids yours?" She asked.

"Well, they are now. Gus is my biological son, and Hanna is Liv's daughter." I replied, and she frowned.

"They are so annoying." She admitted, and I frowned.

"They are little kids. I bet you were annoying when you were little."

"I was quieter than I am now, when I was younger."

"Do you want to give me some background on you?"

"I don't know." She frowned, and I nodded. I reached out and ruffled her short blonde hair.

"I'm going to the park. Get dressed and join me."

---

Even though Jayden didn't want to, I forced her to walk to the park with me. When we got there, Liv stood laughing at Gus and Hanna doing their usual funny things. They were playing in the sand, and Gus had a bucket balanced on his head. Hanna was trying the same thing, but her pony tail wouldn't allow it.

I went next to my wife, and wrapped an arm around her waist. She turned to look at me and smiled. She leaned in and kissed me, before she looked at Jayden, who was sitting on a bench, holding an old leather journal.

"That is one of the only things that is her's, right?" Liv asked, and I nodded.

"Yeah, she clung to that the whole walk here." I replied, and she frowned.

"I wish she would give us more of a chance. But I don't blame her for not giving us one."

"You had a hard time trusting me and the crew." I spoke, and she nodded.

"But I'm glad I did." She beamed, before leaning in and kissing me again.

Lets hope that Jayden ends up trusting us like Liv learned to.

Hey guys! Thanks for reading! Please vote and comment all of your feedback! :D