FLoPPY DiSks

Seoul, Songpa-dong Hong Private Clinic

Seoul 3 years ago

"I'm scared, Sik Seok. I forget too many things. A few months ago, I forgot words, but now I don't remember my daughter's name. Without my memos, I can't live normally. I don't even recall what I had for breakfast this morning. Good lord, I don't even know if I took breakfast.

Seo Gwan Gi consulted his friend for the last nine months. At first, he complained about headaches and stuttering. But he wasn't stammering on words; the businessman forgot words he used daily.

When director Hong diagnosed the beginning of Alzheimer's, he reassured his friend, saying the symptoms could stagnate for years before drifting into active dementia.

Now nine months later, the CEO was between a stage 4/5.

"Have you told Sae Ha?"

"Not yet; I want Kyung Gi to come back first."

Seo Gwan Gi had a plan; he would get the board to vote Kyung Gi as his replacement.

Though Kyung Gi was a producer, he was also an accomplished businessman, holding Satelite would be a piece of cake for the man. He already took care of the European branch of Satellite, managing acts that topped charts in the rest of the world.

Seo Gwan Gi cherished his company and his employees, the only other person he trusted enough to ensure the safety of everyone's job and the company's prosperity was his son.

Things were going on in Satellite, he couldn't put it in words, but he felt some artists were hiding something. Gwan Gi needed an ally to verify all was well, and his son would investigate for him.

"Please don't tell anyone Sik Seok. I trust you. Don't let Baek Hyun know. Sometimes I get the impression he still holds a grudge for seeing me win the company from his cousin.

"Don't worry, even my son isn't aware of this. I still haven't told him about myself."

"How is your hearing?"

Director Hong suffered from hearing; it started a year after his son got married. At first, he wanted to tell Kwon Jin, and like Seo Gwan Gi, ask his son to take his lead in administrating the hospitals and clinics. His son made other plans, driven by dark ambitions. Kwon Jin joined Kang Baek Hyun in his race towards congress.

Power became his obsession; the man refused to be played by anyone again. Kwon Jin changed after his return from Europe. Director Hong knew better than anyone Kwon Jin's nature, yet he hoped his child would support him.

Seeing help was not possible; the older man learned to lip-read and sign in secret. This allowed him to think of other options.

There was also his daughter, Ga Eun was good, which was admirable but also her weakness. She needed more training, and to allow her to develop her abilities, director Hong was compelled to hold the position as long as possible.

Both men were reluctant to let their families in confidence about their health condition; they knew far too well what happened to empires with leaders suffering from illness. Greedy vultures rushed to grab the spot, leading to internal feuds and other outbursts.

Luckily the director no longer operated, but he consulted his hospital's VVIP's who needed absolute discretion. He wore new age hearing aids designed by InTech, which he placed in the ear canal entrance. No one could see them.

"I'm fine; hopefully, Ga Eun will marry in a year or two. I'll breathe then."

"Is she still waiting for -what's the boy's name again?"