• Chapter One : Forbidden Desires •

C H A P T ER | I

Katerina Petrova grew up in Bulgaria, her family had never been rich, which is why her parents pressure her to marry into nobility

She was never short of wealthy suitors and admirers, but their love -or lust-
always remained unrequited.

It was mainly to do with their snobbery and their rudeness to all.

She didn't care for status, and she never had.

She cared only for unconditional love, for this was all she desired.

This was strange for a girl of her time, they usually craved only financial stability, many of her associates included.

Katerina craved love, an unmeasurable kind of love.

Her parents didn't even show her love often, they judged her at every opportunity, trying hard to morph her into their ideal daughter- it just wasn't in her nature to be the person they wanted her to be.

During the summer of 1488, Katerina decided to wander through the serene meadows, plucking daisies from the ground as she strolled.

Her legs were her guide and her heart accompanied them, she believed that if she wandered, she would be lead down the right routes.

The sun felt hot on her neck as she looked into the distance, holding a daisy up to the sunshine. Nature, she felt, was a beauty that is impossible to describe.

Her eyes glistened as she looked upon the outline of a masculine figure skilfully directing a mousy brown horse, weaving between the tall trees, as he chuckled lowly.

As he got closer and closer to Katerina, her heartbeat grew faster and faster. She'd never felt like this before, not even when she'd held the hand of an admirer or two.

Her body was engulfed by a flame of passion, desire and awe, and she hadn't even heard his voice or touched his skin. If just his presence had this effect on her, she had no idea how she would feel if he courted her.

He too, noticed her. I mean, it's hard not to notice such a beautiful maiden, standing unaccompanied.
How was someone so beautiful alone? He asked himself.

He simply could not answer the question for himself.

The mysterious beauty seemed to attract him more and more, like her aura was reeling him in, the more clear the sight of her became, the more alive he felt.

His heartbeat crept up, his hairs on the back of his neck jolting up.

Adrenaline pumped through his body; he had no idea it was possible to feel such a way upon just the sight of someone he had never before encountered.

It was confusing to him.

Swiftly, knowing he simply could not leave without knowing her, he steered his horse, Alexander and rode over to her.

Katerina froze, nervously twisting her hair around her finger, as she watched him step off of his horse.

"Stay, boy. " He stroked the horse from head to nose, the horse exhaled calmed by the touch of his owner. Katerina's heart leapt at his admirable love for nature-and it was clear, nature loved him back.

"Hello, miss. " He smiled, looking the young girl in the eyes, he noticed how alike to the bright stars, that he saw in the midnight sky each night, the twinkle in her eyes was.

Young Katerina Petrova looked at his mucky outfit and tattered boots, and then she gazed back up to his playful smile.

He looked at her with so much wonder, intrigue and desire that Katerina felt herself become dazed.

From just that one look, Katerina knew that she and this boy would have a passionate affair awaiting them- what gnawed at her was the question of how long this affair would last.

All she knew was that she couldn't wait to experience the love that she had so longed to feel with every potential suitor she had met.

What they both didn't know was just how soon the two were to be separated after such a short time together, and the cause of this unfortunate division.

- A u t h o r ' s N o t e -

I hope that you enjoyed this chapter, and I would appreciate any comments or votes. I'm really excited to share the story with you all.

Happy Reading!

• Kira X •