• Chapter Twelve: welcome to the family•

"her eyes fixated on the protruding bump as a mournful look dampened her features."

"Well, well, well

"Well, well, well.... what do we have here?"
Katerina turned her head to see a beautiful blonde woman eyeing her, her eyes fixated on the protruding bump as a mournful look dampened her features.

Klaus held the small wooden dish in his hand, grinding herbs, not looking up he spoke.

"Ah, Rebekah. This is Katerina Petrova, and Elijah with his, ever so pitiful kindness took her in." Sarcasm is was laced within his tone as he prepared the stewing meat over the fireplace.

Rebekah huffed, and marched down the halls, whilst a confused Katerina assisted Klaus in the kitchen, helping him to prepare dinner.

♔ ♔ ♔ ♔ ♔ ♔ ♔ ♔ ♔ ♔  ♔ ♔

"Elijah!" Rebekah's voice boomed as she stomped up the stairwell, searching in every room.

"Sister, to what do I owe the pleasure of your presence?" Elijah eventually responded, Rebekah following his voice to the library.

"What in hell's name is one of them doing here?" She snapped, causing Elijah to slam his book shut. Like a shot, he sped over to the bookcase and put his book upon the shelf.

"Rebekah, please, the poor girl is pregnant and she's alone... what chances would she have?"

Circling the chair that Elijah had recently sat upon, like a predator closing in on its prey, Rebekah scoffed.

"You know what Kol will do to her.. and the child, he's a heartless bastard, Elijah. No mortal being is safe around here, not with him on the loose." She warned.
Her brother, Kol wasn't always like this, dangerous and detached, but now he wouldn't hesitate to injure an animal, let alone a child. He had his humanity 'switched off.'

"Question," Elijah began, turning the page of his book. "Why has no one put him back into the tomb, the last place we tracked him to was a motel in Bulgaria, right?" Rebekah bit her lip awkwardly and tried to evade eye contact with her brother.

"Yeah, well we lost him and you better find her shelter someplace else before he's back." Rebekah snapped.

"She's staying and you're going to offer her you protection, but she can't know what we are... understood?" Elijah said in an authoritative tone. His sister knew there was little point to arguing again him now.

"On your head be it, don't come crying to me when she's six feet under or feet... or worse, she could end up like us!" Rebekah yelled.

"Keep your voice down, sister. It won't come to that." Elijah argued, he would never let her know that he had his doubts. Rebekah huffed.

How goddamn stupid was Elijah, seriously? She raged mentally. If anything happened to Katerina, what about that poor baby, what kind of life would it have? Would it always be in danger? Would it grow up and end up cursed to an immortal life at the hands of one of their kind?

Questions haunted Rebekah's mind. The one thing she'd always wanted was a child, but she'd lost all hope of that the minute her heart stopped beating.

"Elijah, think of the child. We could bring it- him or her a life of danger, and rob it of a gracious and fulfilling upbringing." Rebekah's tone softened as she said this. She had the most devastating dullness in her eyes, her skin washed pale.

"Rebekah, please.." Elijah reasoned. He placed his hand on top of his sister's, she clicked her tongue in annoyance and jerked her hand away. "We will look after the baby, protect it from evil for as long as humanly possible."

"I don't want to get attached, El. Not after my past." His sister frowned, picking at the skin around her fingernails.

"Honestly, if you're willing to protect Katerina, this baby will be raised safely and happily with your help."
"I'm only accepting this because the young girl couldn't do it on her own. And surprisingly, I have a heart." Rebekah sighed as she sat down in a lavish armchair. Boy, was this going to be a challenge.