19. Hogwarts Hit List - Birthday blues.

Birthday blues

Chapter 19

Estella sat in the great hall on the morning of the sixteen of January, she was trying to keep her head low, occasionally making eye contact with a cheery Theo who was at the Slytherin table talking to one of his new friends who didn't agree with the prejudices like Estella didn't as a pureblood herself. Her head was ducked so that no one knew it was her but she knew it wouldn't matter when they entered the hall, they would no doubt carry on the tradition they had since her third year, and every time she wanted to kill them.

She hated this day, she hated celebrating herself more than what she needed to, and when her brother and her friends wished to make a big deal about it, she wished to just crawl into bed and ignore the world. She never got much of a big deal when she was younger because of her mother's lack of money, and as much as she liked to make it a big deal to add to Estella - and Peters - happiness, but Estella would much rather spend her time with her friends instead of making a big deal of presents, of buying things she did not need for a day she did not care for.

And for the start of her morning, it seemed she was getting away with her ignorance.

That was, until her brother and her friends entered the great hall

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!" she heard Sirius' voice first, he liked to be louder than most because he liked his own voice most, so when he walked first, clearing the road for Remus behind him and then James, and then Peter who held her cake, slowly walking with a cake with sixteen candles placed atop of it whilst he screeched the song with his friends.

Theo was as confused as the first years that littered the hall but students of the rest of the years and houses already knew what the boys were doing, they were used to it, and used to their antics. Theo shared a look with his Slytherin friend, who uttered a quick, "think you should get over to your girlfriend, mate."

Which left Theo terribly confused as to why until he saw Peter set down the cake in front of the glaring girl. His eyebrow raised as he caught her eye and soon did he mouth, 'birthday?' to which her eyes only narrowed.

"See you later, man," Theo chuckled, patting the boys shoulder and soon did he cross the hall to the Hufflepuff table, taking a seat beside her whilst the boys screeched the song once more at the top of their lungs, dancing around and laughing in front of her.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ESTELLA, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!" they finally finished, seeing the look in her eye, the look she gave them every year that told them she was finally going to do it, she was going to kill them, and that was the look that made them take their seats.

"Having a good birthday, then?" asked James, a goofy grin struck his features, running a hand through his messy hair whilst she grumbled some very colourful words under her breath.

"Piss off," she huffed, leaning into Theo who couldn't stop his laughter.

"So, were you just going to pretend that you didn't have a birthday?" Theo whispered in Estella's ear, his eyebrow raised and a smirk on his lips whilst she shook her head.

"I don't care about my birthday," she mumbled, "it's just not a day I wish to celebrate."

"Fair enough," he nodded, reaching under the table he slipped his hand into hers, "but I think as your boyfriend I at least deserve to know when it is."

"I know, I'm sorry," she frowned, soon turning to stare at him and cupping his cheek.

"I didn't even get you a present," he frowned, his eyes boring into hers whilst the boys talked happily about the cake, "I have to get you a present."