22. Hogwarts Hit List - McGonagall's Suspicions.

McGonagall's suspicions

Chapter 22

Theo couldn't deny his surprise when he was in class a few weeks after the incident, and a week after Estella had hurt that other pureblood when a student came in claiming that Professor McGonagall would like to see him. There was a wave of hushed murmurs throughout the classroom when he exited with the young girl who sported a frown in his direction, weaving her way through the corridors until the two ended up at McGonagall's classroom. Theo was positive that the young girl wasn't entirely fond of him, but that thought was made official when she spat "mudblood," at him before hurrying off down the hall.

He rolled his eyes before he entered the classroom, seeing it almost empty apart from Estella who was sitting atop of one of the tables, swinging her legs softly in front of her, but not long was it before Theo had made his way over to her, cupping her face in his hand whilst she smiled softly, leaning forward to press her lips to his.

"Did you see McGonagall?" asked Estella, her head titled to the side whilst Theo shook his head, "some little girl, she must have been a first year, she called me a blood traitor!"

"I know, I think the same girl was the one to retrieve me, she called me a mudblood before she ran away," Theo rolled his eyes, and soon did he pull on her arms so that he could embrace her tightly, "do you know why we're here?"

"Kind of obvious, isn't it?" Estella sighed, knowing fine well that the professors had finally caught on and thought the same as everyone else, but both Estella and Theo weren't stupid enough to confess to the murders whilst they were in the classroom, knowing that McGonagall could easily be anywhere, and could very much hear them if she was.

"I was hoping it wasn't," Theo frowned, "has anyone said anything to you today?"

"How could a hufflepuff possibly do all this? How could she do this? She's nothing but a blood traitor!" Estella listed off a few of the harsh words sent her way before she entered the classroom, "classes are hell, Theo, but no one understands why I hurt that pureblood when all these rumours where floating around but I just don't care.

They were talking about Peter, and I don't care what people are saying about me, I'm not letting them drag Peter into this, too, he doesn't deserve this-"

"You don't deserve this either, Estella!" Theo exclaimed, cupping her cheeks whilst her shoulders slumped and soon did he lean in to kiss her forehead, "you deserve none of this!"

"I know that, but that doesn't mean they can just target him too, He wasn't the one to hurt the purebloods in the first place, if I just kept my violence at bay then none of this would've happened, we wouldn't be here, and you wouldn't have been brought into this, too!" she sighed.

"Everything is fine, Estella," Theo laughed softly, sharing a look with her when they heard a noise, "you didn't do a thing, okay, and the Professors will understand that when McGonagall comes back."

"I know," she whispered, "I couldn't even imagine doing anything like that, Theo, I may have hurt a few purebloods but I'd never want them dead!"

"I know, baby," Theo sighed, sending a sympathetic look her way. It was rather unbelievable that they both had the same idea, almost laughable that they send each other a simple look and where both on board with lying even if McGonagall couldn't hear them at all.

But neither of them were taking any chances.

"Where do you think McGonagall is?" asked Estella, reaching for Theo's hands that were inching up her legs and soon intertwining their fingers. He moved to sit beside her, pulling her legs over his whilst they waited for the woman to show up, but neither of them knew if the Professor was truly lurking to see if they were innocent.