34: Through

"I don't know why I'm still with him." I told Lizzie as we were sitting on the couch in Nate's mansion. Nate was at a business meeting.

"I mean, he treats you like fuckin dirt." Lizzie said.

"I know, but he's trying to change." I said.

Lizzie scoffed. "Layla, I supported it in the beginning, but as your friend, I'm telling you that you need to get away from this guy. Look at what he did to your arm, for crying out loud."

I consciously moved the hoodie sleeve down to cover the bruise he had given me. "It was an accident."

"Accident my ass." Lizzie said. "What would Parker do if he saw that?"

"Parker doesn't give a fuck. He told me not to go crying to him when Nate did something." I said. "And he hasn't talked to me since then."

"And when was that?" Lizzie asked.

"About a week and a half ago." I replied. "He found out about Nate, and he wasn't happy."

"Of course he wasn't. Because in his weird little mind, you're supposed to just love him." Lizzie said.

I scoffed. "Let me show you the messages."

"I can't believe you didn't show them to me sooner." Lizzie said as I handed her the phone.

"I know, I've been so busy with filming and learning lines, and Nate. I'm glad he had that meeting today." I said.

"Same. The guy's a dick." Lizzie said as she slowly moved her thumb down the screen, reading the messages.

I heard footsteps, and I quickly turned my head to see the maid walking behind us.

"Shit, I hope none of the help around here hears us talking about Parker and tells Nate." I whispered to Lizzie.

"We'll just say he's your cousin." Lizzie shrugged as she handed the phone back. "And wow, things got heated."

"I know." I chuckled slightly. "It's like, he says one thing, and then changes it, and then-" I groaned frustratingly. "I can't read his mind."

"He wants you to be with him. Duh." Lizzie said.

"Well, what am I supposed to do, Lizzie?" I asked.

"Dump the dick. And then go get your man." Lizzie said slowly.

I chuckled softly. "What if he doesn't want me anymore?"

"He'd be stupid if he didn't. He wanted you before, he'll want you again." Lizzie said.

"So I'm just supposed to drop everything and go up in the middle of nowhere hoping that he'll say he wants to be with me." I said.

"Call him." Lizzie said. "Text him. Tell him you dumped Nate and you miss him."

"I can't do that, Liz." I shook my head. "I have too much pride for that."

"See? Parker was right. You can't tell him what you want." Lizzie said.

"He can't tell me what he wants either!" I defended. "I mean, he beats around the bush. I have to read into things. Like why can't he just tell me he wants to be with me and I can go up there with him?"

"I don't know." Lizzie sighed. "Men are difficult."

"You're telling me." I scoffed. "I mean, all he would have to do is tell me that he wants to be with me. That's all. And I would drop everything." My voice faltered as I wiped a tear from my eye. "And that kills me, because I know it's true. No matter what happens, I would go back to him in a heartbeat."