28: Attached

"Ah! One more week and you'll be back home!" Lizzie smiled as we were FaceTime calling.

"I know." I smiled. "Doesn't seem like it's been five months, does it?"

Lizzie scoffed. "Speak for yourself. I've missed my crazy party best friend."

"I've missed you too." I smiled. "It's so surreal that in one week I'll be sleeping in my bed again."

"Without Parker." Lizzie added.

"Yeah, without him." I said as I looked down at my fingers.

"Well, don't be so down about it, Layla. Come on, we're having a big party when you get back!" Lizzie said excitedly. "Oh, shit, you weren't supposed to know that."

I laughed as I looked back at Lizzie. "You had one job!"

"Yeah, I blew it. Just act surprised, okay?" Lizzie chuckled.

"Okay." I chuckled.

"Where is your lover boy anyway? He isn't right there beside you." Lizzie said.

"He had to go somewhere for work or something like that." I said as I ate a chip.

"I bet you're just waiting for him to get back so you can jump on him." Lizzie said.

"No, I'm not." I smirked. "He'll be back tonight anyway."

"It's gonna go down tonight." Lizzie teased.

I giggled as I covered my face with my hands. I smirked as I looked back at her. "I don't know about that."

"Well, you said you had sex with him twice." Lizzie chuckled. "And it wasn't horrible, was it?"

"No, it was actually pretty good." I chuckled. "It's great."

"Well, you got one more week. Get in as much as you can."

"You're horrible, Lizzie." I laughed.

"So is it really going to be over between you two after you leave?" Lizzie asked.

"I guess." I shrugged. "I mean, I wish it could last longer, but we agreed that it'd be over. And it wouldn't affect either of us."

"That's a bunch of crap. Like you know it's going to affect you. You have feelings for this man. They don't just go away." Lizzie said.

"Yeah, well, I'll be alright." I sighed. "He doesn't want a relationship, so I'm not going to push it."

"You guys are so weird. Why can't you just tell him you love him and want to be with him?"

"I never said I loved him." I said.

Lizzie scoffed. "As if it isn't obvious. You're in such denial about everything."

"Well, he's never said he loves me. Or that he wants to be with me. Or that he doesn't want me to leave." I said.

"And you can't put down your pride for one second and take a chance for the guy who could be the love of your life." Lizzie said.

"Would you?" I asked.

"If I really felt strong enough about him, yeah I would. You don't get a story like you two everyday." Lizzie said.

I rolled my eyes. "Sometimes life isn't a storybook."

"But it can be, Layla. Look at what all you've been through with him. What do you call that?" Lizzie asked.

"I don't know.". I sighed. "Adventure."

"Yeah, an adventure where you fell in love." Lizzie said. "You're going to regret it if you leave."