Prologue

The air was cold as death, although Elizabeth didn't feel it. She looked down on the town below her, watching, waiting. There were too many groups of people - not that she couldn't take them all out, but she'd rather just swoop in and steal one.

But nobody was alone tonight. A group of two girls and two guys, laughing about something that really wasn't funny at all. A few couples making out against the walls of different buildings. But nobody was on their own today.

The thirst burnt in the back of Elizabeth's throat. The street was alive with the sound of pumping blood,waiting for her to take it.

She closed her eyes for a moment, and, when she opened them again, she was looking at everybody differently.

Now, instead of drunk-teenage-guy-stumbling-along-the-street, she saw the orange and red of his aura. The mark of somebody enthusiastic and kind, but hot tempered. He was only a young kid out with his friends, who also had similar auras. A little green here, a little blue there, plenty of fiery colours. Probably a football team.

Elizabeth finally settled with hovering over a sober couple who must've been in their early twenties, and were walking through an alleyway - to get home, Elizabeth assumed. She didn't care about home anymore. The woman's aura was blue with hints of yellow, and the man's was green and slightly orange at the edges. Elizabeth blinked, and she was seeing the two ordinary people walking home, hand in hand, again.

Elizabeth had been standing on the roof of one of the shops, hiding in the shadows so nobody saw her. She jumped down, one quick motion, so she was standing behind the couple. There was nobody else in this alleyway - this was getting to easy, Elizabeth thought.

Suddenly, Elizabeth was in front of the couple, who froze immediately when they saw her. 'Stand still,' Elizabeth commanded, putting Power behind her words. Compelling them to do as she told them to do.

Teasing, Elizabeth strolled towards the pair, and pushed the woman's hair back, to expose her neck.

But then, she didn't want to wait anymore. Elizabeth leant forwards, sliding her fangs into the woman's neck. Her sweet blood flooded into Elizabeth's mouth, and she felt the strength of her Power growing.

Reluctantly, Elizabeth pulled away from the woman's neck before she had time to either change of kill her. Then, she bit into her own wrist and offered her blood to the woman's mouth, and let her drink until the wound was closed.

Then, she moved onto he man. This time, she didn't hold back, swallowing mouthful after mouthful of his blood. But she didn't intend upon killing the man - no, Elizabeth didn't like killings. They were messy. So, once again, she pulled back before the man had time to die or change, and bit her wrist, and let him drink until his wound was healed.

'Forget everything that just happened,' said Elizabeth, compelling them to do so. 'You never saw me, you're just walking home. Go.'

Elizabeth jumped up, back onto the roof, before they had time to see her.