Chapter 18: 5.6.2 I Believe the Children are Our Future

Happy Friday the 13th. Only reason I'm updating.

Dean pulled the Impala to a stop across the street from a farmhouse. He cut the engine and turned to the blonde in the backseat, sighing. "Alright, Princess, you get your mojo working yet?" She shrugged.

    "Don't know. Haven't exactly been able to test it out. Guess we'll have to see." Cassandra pushed open the car door and slammed it shut. Dean turned to Sam.

    "Well, that's comforting," he muttered before following the Nephilim across the street. They made their way up the steps and glanced around before Sam bent down and started to pick the lock. Suddenly the door opened and he quickly stood up, tucking the tools into his pocket. Cassandra raised an eyebrow at the young boy.

"Can I help you?" he questioned. The Hunters and Cassandra all exchanged glances.

"Hi. Uh, what's your name?" Sam asked with a smile. The boy eyed the three adults warily.

"Who wants to know?" Sam and Dean glanced at each other, Dean raising his eyebrows, before digging their badges of their pockets.

"The, uh..." Dean cleared his throat and pulled out his badge, showing it to the kid while Sam and Cassandra pulled out theirs.  "FBI." The boy leaned forward and snatched the badge from Dean's grasp.

"Let me see that." Sam and Cassandra quickly put theirs away as the boy handed the badge back to the blond Hunter in front of him. "So, what, you guys don't knock?" he questioned.

"Are your parents home?" Cassandra asked. The boy glanced over at her, furrowing his eyebrows at the woman.

"They work," he replied immediately.

"Well, you mind if we ask you a few questions, maybe take a look around the house?" she requested. The boy eyed them warily, his gaze constantly jumping from one Hunter to the other.

"I don't know." Dean grinned and held up his closed badge again.

"Come on. You can trust us. We're the authorities," Dean told him. The boy seemed unimpressed but when his gaze settled on Cassandra's pleading expression he nodded and stepped aside to let them in. Dean stared back at her questioningly and she shrugged, following the Winchesters inside.

They made sure to stay by the boy as they made their way into the kitchen. Cassandra watched the kid turn off the stove and pull the pot off, placing it on the dining table. She raised her eyebrows. His family let him cook when they weren't home? He was only a kid.

"What's that?" Sam questioned.

"It's called soup. You heat it up and you eat it," the boy replied. Sam chuckled and nodded, taking a step forward as Dean studied the drawing on the fridge behind him. Cassandra advanced further into the kitchen, her gaze drifting around the house.

"Right. I, I know. It's just, um...I used to make my own dinner, too, when I was a kid." The boy looked up immediately, almost offended by Sam's words.

"Well, I'm not a kid."

"Right. No, I, I know. Um..." Sam held out his hand for the kid to shake. "I'm Robert, by the way."

"Jesse," he replied, taking his hand and shaking it. Cassandra eyed the boy warily. She could feel something dark radiating off of him but she wasn't sure what exactly. She hadn't felt something like that before.

"Jesse, nice to meet you," Sam said. Dean stepped closer and held up the drawing from the fridge. Cassandra held back a laugh upon seeing a bearded man dressed in a tutu with pink wings.