Chapter 27: Coffee Kisses

Singer Salvage Yard, Sioux Falls, South Dakota

    The next day Cassandra woke up with a pounding migraine and an arm draped over her torso that locked her in place. She turned her head to see Dean next to her, sleeping soundly as soft snores escaped past his lips. Memories of the day before came rushing back to Cassandra but she pushed them away. That day was over. Dean and Sam were still alive.

    Dean shifted in his sleep and his grip on the blonde loosened slightly, just enough to let her slip out of bed without waking him up. Not caring that she was only in Dean's flannel, Cassandra padded out of the room and rushed down the stairs quietly, careful not to wake anyone else who was still sleeping. But when she entered the living room she had found that Dean was the only one sleeping.

    "'Bout time," Bobby grumbled with a glass of bourbon to his lips. "I was starting to wonder if you two were ever going to wake up." Cassandra furrowed her eyebrows and glanced around before her gaze drifted to the clock on the wall. It was one in the afternoon.

    "Uh, Dean's still sleeping," Cassandra replied as she made her way to the kitchen to get a glass of water. She was groggy as hell and the last thing she wanted to do was anything, but she knew that she couldn't just lay in bed and sulk all day. The blonde wrinkled her nose in disgust at the aroma of the coffee drifting around the kitchen. She poured her water and retreated into the living room, taking a seat on the couch next to Sam and curling her legs up under her.

    "What time did you guys go to sleep?" Sam questioned. Cassandra shrugged and took a sip of her water.

    "I'm not really sure. I fell asleep before him, though." Sam nodded and brought his mug of coffee to his lips, glancing around. Cassandra sighed and let her head fall on his shoulder, confusing the Hunter slightly. She had never been close with Sam. Sure, they had their supportive moments but they hadn't had one in a long time. "Thank you," Cassandra whispered.

    "For what?"

    Cassandra shrugged.

    "Giving me a chance, I guess. When you guys first found me you were the one who wanted to help me. You managed to convince Dean to let me stay even though I was a pain in the ass," she replied. Sam chuckled and nodded, wrapping an arm around her as a hug.

    "Cas told us to watch out for you and we did. Besides, I knew you weren't a threat. Jess didn't talk about you much but when she did it was all good." Sam's gaze dropped to the mug in his hand. "The night Dean came and got me to find Dad, Jess and I had gone out to a halloween party. She mentioned that you were planning a visit?" Cassandra nodded.

    "Um, yeah. I was supposed to visit for Thanksgiving since we weren't going home and she knew that you never went home on breaks. I never heard from her after that."

    Sam sighed and rested his head on Cassandra's, rubbing a hand down her arm. "She wouldn't want you to be like this, Cassandra. She would want you to be happy and do what you want. She'd want you to stay here no matter what."

    "I know."

    "Then why did you plan on leaving?"

    "Because I'm a risk. The angels just have to find me to get to you and I don't want anything to happen to you and Dean. You've done so much for me and I just wanted to protect you." Cassandra's voice was soft. She stared straight ahead as she spoke, not able to bring herself to look Sam in the eyes.

    "Cas said we have to protect you. And if you want to return the favor then stay here. Don't leave. You make Dean happy and it's nice to have you around what with everything that's going on. You did pick the worst time to have your neighbor get possessed, though," Sam said. Cassandra let out a laugh and Sam joined her. The blonde shook her head and sighed.