MONSTER One-Shot

Dean glanced over at Cassandra, the blonde wincing as she ran her hand over her stomach. She was seated on the edge of the bed, dried blood coating her arms and splattered on her face from their last hunt. Something had gone wrong resulting in Dean's near death and Cassandra to take on the pain of bullets piercing her skin and multiple stab wounds to keep Dean from getting hit. Guilt ate away at Dean's gut, knowing it was his fault. He knew that Cassandra couldn't die but it still affected him. She had gotten hurt.

"I'm sorry." Cassandra looked up, her gaze drifting over to Dean who sat at the table, running his index finger around the rim of the glass of alcohol in his grasp. He never met her blue eyes. He couldn't bring himself to do it. "I never meant—"

"It's fine. No one died. Sam and Bobby are okay and so are you. I'm fine now, too." Dean turned and looked to the blonde to see her holding her arms out wide. All of her open wounds had disappeared, almost as if they had never been there. The blood was also gone and it seemed that she had grasped her powers enough to learn how to clean herself up. Cassandra pushed herself off of the bed and walked over to him, pressing two fingers to his head before he could protest. A warm tingle spread throughout his body and before he knew it all of his cuts and scrapes were gone along with the blood.

"Cassy..."

"Dean, it's okay. You didn't know. You just made a simple mistake. That's all. It happens to the best of us," she assured him. He sighed and nodded, knowing he couldn't argue with her. Cassandra glanced around the motel room before taking a seat in the chair next to Dean, turning her body to face him. "It was me that caused everything." Dean furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. He was the one who had gotten the monster wrong. "I've been petty with you and I won't give us a chance to make up. So, this is me saying I'm sorry. I was in the wrong here, too. I know things can never go back to the way they were and that's my fault. I'm sorry."

"Cassy, I should have never kissed you that night. I should've known that it would cause problems. Besides—" Dean chuckled softly, licking his lips. "—you deserve someone better than me. You said it yourself; once this is all over you're gone and back to a normal life. I respect that. I should have seen it from the beginning. I'm sorry for ever kissing you. It was a mistake." Cassandra nodded and leaned forward, her gaze falling to his lips before rising back to his piercing green eyes.

"I'm sorry that you see it that way because I really enjoyed that night. You know, besides the pain of the stitches," she told him with a small smile. Dean stared at her in shock. "And I've been thinking about it a lot, especially since we visited the future. And I was hoping that we could give it another shot." Cassandra's voice dropped down to a whisper by the end of her sentence and she locked eyes with him. Anxiety rushed through her and she prayed that he wouldn't reject her and just laugh in her face. There was nothing she feared more at the moment.

Relief flooded her body when he reached forward and cupped her cheek, pulling her closer to him. Cassandra's eyes fluttered closed the moment he pressed his lips to hers. They were soft, softer than they had been months earlier. When she didn't pull away Dean set his glass down on the tabletop and rested his other hand on the back of her neck, sliding to the edge of his seat. Suddenly he pulled away and stared back at her. She cocked her head to the side, frowning slightly.

"Dean?" Cassandra asked softly, her voice wavering in the slightest. Had he changed his mind? Did he decide that he didn't want to give them another shot; that she wasn't worth the trouble?

Dean stood up and walked to the center of the room, running a hand down his face. He didn't want to hurt her again like he had before. He knew that distancing himself from her had taken a toll on her.