Chapter 29: 5.13.1 The Song Remains the Same

"Place has been in the family for years," Mary explained as the group of five made their way into an old house. The paint was peeling from the walls and Cassandra could smell the faint scent of mold and must with a hint of rotting wood. She wrinkled her nose at the dusty floorboards as Mary flipped on a lightswitch. The Winchester lifted up the edge of a round carpet to reveal a familiar symbol painted in red. "Devil's trap. Pure iron fixtures, of course."

Mary flipped on another lightswitch, watching as everyone surveyed the place. "Um, there should be salt and holy water in the pantry, knives, guns," she told Sam and Dean. Sam scoffed.

"All that stuff will do is piss it off," he told her. Mary frowned slightly.

"So, what will kill it? Or slow it down, at least?"

"Not much. Cassandra's not at full power and she doesn't exactly have Heaven on her side at the moment," Sam replied. Cassandra rolled her eyes, shaking her head.

"I never did," she grunted, crossing her arms over her chest. Mary let out a laugh and shook her head.

"Great."

"He said not much, not nothing," Dean chimed in. He raised the green duffel bag that Castiel had packed for them before they left. "We packed." Dean gently set the bag down on the table and unzipped it, pulling out a folded piece of paper. "If we put this up and she comes close—" Dean unfolded the paper and turned it towards Mary so that she could see the angel banishing sigil. "—we beam her right off the starship."

Sam pulled one of the ceramic jars from the bag and held it up. "This is holy oil. It's kind of like a, like a devil's trap for angels. Come on. I'll show you how it works," Sam said, nodding towards the other room. He left but Mary lingered, her gaze on John, before she followed. John hesitated, eyeing the paper before stepping forward. Cassandra took a step back and moved to the other side of Dean.

"Hey, what's the deal with the thing on the paper?" John questioned, gesturing to the paper in Cassandra's grasp.

"It's a sigil. That means—" John cut Dean off.

"I don't care what it means. Where does it go?" he snapped.

"On a wall or a door," Dean replied.

"How big should I make it?"

"John—"

"What? Y'all might have treated me like a fool, but I am not useless. I can draw a damn—" John snatched the paper from her grasp. It wasn't hard considering the blonde tensed when he reached forward and she let him take it swiftly. "—whatever it is—a sigil," he finished.

"Why don't you go help Sam out? Okay?" Dean suggested. "'Cause this has got to be done in...it's got to be done in human blood." John eyed the knife on the table before picking it up and unsheathing it, slicing his left palm open. A bit of blood dripped onto the table before he looked up.

"So, how big?"

"I'll show you." Dean chuckled a bit, shaking his head. John looked up, furrowing his eyebrows.

"What?"

"All of a sudden, you...you really remind me of my dad."

Cassandra cleared her throat, grabbing Dean's attention. He glanced over to his girlfriend. "What should I do? I don't know if my blood will work since I'm not completely human," she said. John eyed her warily.

"What are you anyways?" he asked. Cassandra's gaze shifted over to the Winchester.

"Uh, I'm a Nephilim. It's an angel with a human soul. My father's Michael and my mom was human," Cassandra explained. John frowned slightly.