Chapter 28: 5.13.1 The Song Remains the Same

The past two cases were cases that Cassandra had decided to sit out on. She went back to the mansion and trained, desperately trying to get her head back in the game. Ever since Carthage she had been shaken up and it was hard to control her emotions. Castiel had popped in a few times in those weeks, mostly to see how she was doing. Cassandra had left right after Christmas.

"That's new," Castiel had said, eyeing the anti-possession necklace around Cassandra's neck. She stopped throwing punches at the dummy in front of her and glanced down at the silver, nodding.

"Dean got it for me for Christmas."

"I wasn't aware he celebrated Christmas," Cas replied. Cassandra grinned and shook her head, reaching behind her to tighten her ponytail.

"He doesn't. I managed to talk him into it. It was small. One gift for everyone from each person, pie, beer, and a few movies," Cassandra explained. The angel nodded, his eyes observing her every move. He cocked his head to the side before walking behind her, his hands on her hips stopping her actions. The Nephilim tensed under his touch and jumped, staring at him with wide eyes. Cas gently turned her hips and let go.

"You, uh, you were standing in the wrong position," he told her awkwardly. Cassandra stared back at him blankly, her eyes twinkling with fear. "Are you okay? Dean told me that you've been a bit off since Carthage." Cassandra cleared her throat and nodded.

"Um, yeah. I'm okay." Cas eyed her warily. "I promise I'm not going to go off the rails or something. I just don't understand why the Colt didn't work on Lucifer, y'know? We were all so sure and it backfired and now he's walking free. I just can't help but feel a bit scared and disappointed."

"You weren't the one who pulled the trigger. Why would Lucifer go after you?" Castiel questioned. Cassandra shrugged and decided to take a break, walking over to the kitchen counter to grab her water. Cas followed her, leaning against the island counter as she hopped up on the edge of the outside countertop.

"I was supposed to, actually. Crowley had wanted me to do it. Besides, Castiel, you heard Lucifer back in Carthage. The way he spoke...he's not going to stop until he has me on his side," Cassandra said. Cas glanced around in thought before locking gazes with the blonde.

"Double-play?"

"Hell no," Cassandra replied, instantly catching on to what the angel was insisting. Cas frowned slightly. "I saw the outcome of that and I don't like it. I'd rather not be his bitch and Graceless in a war like this. I'll do whatever it takes to gank him, but I won't double-cross him. It's not worth the risk." Castiel sighed and nodded in agreement.

"I suppose you're right." He sucked in a sharp breath and eyed the dummy in the middle of the room before looking back to the Nephilim who sipped her ice-cold water. "Dean and Sam are back from their case." Cassandra perked up slightly at the mention of the Winchester brothers. "Dean said he texted you the address of the motel they're at."

"I haven't looked at my phone," the blonde admitted. She leaned back and reached for the iPhone in the corner, just managing to slid it over with her fingertip before sitting up, wincing when she hit her head on the cabinets above her. Castiel bit back a chuckle, earning a playful glare from the Nephilim. She unlocked her phone and scrolled through her messages before stopping on Dean's contact. "He did. I'll pop in soon. I just have to clean up all of the weapons and such."

"I can do that," Cas volunteered. Cassandra slowly looked up, arching an eyebrow in suspicion. "I believe their last case was...interesting. They might need someone to talk to about it." Cassandra chuckled and shook her head, hopping off of the counter.